Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a wanna be owner that wants to hear about the dealer experience from you folks. Does BRP treat the dealer's well? How long does it take to get parts/accessories?

·
Super Moderator
1,031 Posts
In general:
BRP "treats" it's dealers good.
But the dealers treat their customers like CRAP.
The going rate for a simple oil change seems to be a MINIMUM of $250. Some places much higher.

Before COVID, getting parts wan't bad.
But now getting parts for a LOT of things is really slow; BRP included.

·
Banned
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
$250! What's included in that besides oil? Do they hold 15 qts of oil? Is that a diesel engine? How do they get owners to pay that?

·
Super Moderator
1,031 Posts
$250! What's included in that besides oil? Do they hold 15 qts of oil? Is that a diesel engine? How do they get owners to pay that?
It is a bit tricky to get to everything that's involved.
But the real reason is: They have a "captive audience".
Pretty much NO independent shop will touch them.

5 quarts of oil, semi-synthetic, and a few O-rings and a filter.
In my opinion, they charge about twice as much labor as it should really take.......for a shop with the right equipment and a person who is experienced at removing and replacing body panels.

·
Registered
29 Posts
One must remember that the service department is a profit center, in any motorcycle or automobile dealership. If one hasn't the mechanical ability or the tools/equipment to do one's own maintenance, the quality and skill of the technician(s) is the most important factor. Since Can-Am dealerships are a lot more scarce than motorcycle shops the tech skill and quality has a much higher value. That's capitalism.

·
Super Moderator
1,031 Posts
Since Can-Am dealerships are a lot more scarce than motorcycle shops the tech skill and quality has a much higher value. That's capitalism.
I think your definition of capitalism is off a bit.
You are assuming that there is any "tech skill and quality" involved......and many people find that there is next to none.

What that really means is more like supply and demand.
THEY have control over the supply so they can pretty much charge whatever they want, no matter what the quality.
THAT is Capitalism.......at it's worst.

·
Banned
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think your definition of capitalism is off a bit.
You are assuming that there is any "tech skill and quality" involved......and many people find that there is next to none.

What that really means is more like supply and demand.
THEY have control over the supply so they can pretty much charge whatever they want, no matter what the quality.
THAT is Capitalism.......at it's worst.
In. Are you saying the tech's have no skills? You think these guys come off the street from sleeping in a box? They sure do have skills, they went to tech school, learned a trade and keep learning everyday. I suppose the people that made the Spyder have no skills either. The people that made your car? The trucks that deliver goods, so you can buy them all came from skilled people. Next time your in a plane think of the skilled people that made the seat your butts in.

·
Super Moderator
1,031 Posts
In. Are you saying the tech's have no skills? You think these guys come off the street from sleeping in a box?
Yes, that's exactly what I am saying.

Scant few mechanics that work in bike shops actually have any formal "tech school" training.
They go to a 2 week (at most) "factory" training course where they basically learn the right names of parts and how to read codes and look them up. That's it for most.

Your rant about all of those other people and professions has NOTHING to do with Spyder service at their dealers.

AND......if you want to remain in this forum, you need to cool off a bit.
Your abusive attitude is not appreciated and will NOT be tolerated.
Clear ?

·
Banned
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, that's exactly what I am saying.

Scant few mechanics that work in bike shops actually have any formal "tech school" training.
They go to a 2 week (at most) "factory" training course where they basically learn the right names of parts and how to read codes and look them up. That's it for most.

Your rant about all of those other people and professions has NOTHING to do with Spyder service at their dealers.

AND......if you want to remain in this forum, you need to cool off a bit.
Your abusive attitude is not appreciated and will NOT be tolerated.
Clear ?
You just dont like someone talking back to you. Look at the all the responses, you have your two cents in all of them. Got nutthin better to do? Your the rudest forum user I have ever seen. This forum sucks anyway.

·
Super Moderator
1,031 Posts
You just dont like someone talking back to you. Look at the all the responses, you have your two cents in all of them. Got nutthin better to do? Your the rudest forum user I have ever seen. This forum sucks anyway.
I don't make idle threats.
Banned.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It's not rocket science.. the panel on the right has to come off to get the filter out (3 cylinder models).
Buy a maintenance manual. The filter can be gotten from K&N, listed a Seado - anything BRP 3-cylinder. I bought one and compared it to OEM; identical and cheaper. 5 qts of semi synthetic or full synthetic MOTORCYCLE oil, not automotive oil, of the proper grade.
Cycle Gear is your friend.

Both of my dealers in the Denver metro area are always very nice and helpful; Fay Meyers and G-Force Motorsports.

·
Registered
2 Posts
In general:
BRP "treats" it's dealers good.
But the dealers treat their customers like CRAP.
The going rate for a simple oil change seems to be a MINIMUM of $250. Some places much higher.

Before COVID, getting parts wan't bad.
But now getting parts for a LOT of things is really slow; BRP included.
My dealer asked if I wanted to wait until the back ordered from brp emissions filter arrived. They've had the bike for a week to do the 27,000 mile service. didn't stock the spark plugs
or headlight bulbs either. glad I bot the Service contract as their hourly rate is now $145!

love my 2019 RT.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts