Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to decide if I want to pull the trigger on Monday and buy a new 2011 Spyder RT Audio & Convenience. I was just at a biker bar and was asking many of them what they think about Spyder owners and how much crap they give them. Do they even respect them? Do they mind them riding along on trips etc.?

For the most part, the guys I talked to said they respect anyone who rides and they don't really care what they ride. Now I know that isn't always going to be true, there are probably times where disrespect is shown toward Spyder riders, especially behind their backs.

I am a very capable rider who sold my big bike 11 years ago when we had our first child. The reasons I want a Spyder is so my wife can drive it, and I feel much safer when taking the kids for rides etc.. If I have a cocktail or two it's also is safer.

Calling all experienced Spyder owers, are you respected most of the times and how many times do you feel disrespected and what is said or shown at these times?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts
I don't mean to sound uncaring here... but why worry about what anybody else thinks or says about your choices? I've had nothing but positive reactions over my ryde and I guess that I do appreciate that fact... but even if I hadn't it'd still be on the road with my smiling in the saddle. :D
There are always folks out there who like nothing more than raining on parades... Don't worry about 'em!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've had my GS for 3 years and never had any problems with anybody, for the most part, I answer more questions about the bike itself than anything else. I've had my bike to every large event including Sturgis and have had positive reviews by everyone.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hubby and I have been to many biker events and everyone gets along fine. I have seen all kinds of different bikes and not once did i ever hear any one talking bad about anyones bikes.

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
I was looking at the same, ended up getting a RT without it and adding a scala G4 intercom for the Boss and Me, that way we each listen to our own music.

Andy

·
Registered
76 Posts
Attention

We seem to get the most attention from the V twin crowd whether it be Japanese or American. Most riders are of the opinion, that it's not the what you ride, but that you ride..period. Oddly enough, we encountered a gathering of 2 wheelers with a Spyder or two in the mix, and who do you think wouldn't give us the time of day? Anyway, ride your ride, you are the one who really counts.

Patrick

·
Registered
13 Posts
It's cool

I work with a lot of Harley guys that ride to work. I'm the one and only non-Harley dude (by the by..I work just outside of Milwaukee). I take some good natured ribbing from the guys, but in the end they continue to like my ride and are always commenting on it's good looks, power and footprint. They always invite me to ride with them. They weren't that kind or interested when I had my Kawi ninja. And I think they are still laughing about my Buell (Harley Wannabe).

·
Registered
306 Posts
I've had a little different experiance on my GS. Most have been supportive and mainly ask questions.

I have had one rider that I was training for work ask "Why didn't you buy a real bike?" He then went on to tell me of all the crashes and injuries that he has while riding his two wheeler.

I also went on a charity ride with a fellow worker with his R/C. Many would not give me the time of day. There were 35 total riders so it was a good size group. I'm not the leather wearing type of rider and do wear a helmet which few of the other riders wore. This group was made up mainly of volunteer firefighters which I had been for about 10 years. I tried very hard to speak to these guys but at times they would talk but not even look at me.

But this works the other way also. While at Spyderfest last month I heard about one couple that looked the part of the old timer biker. I did talk to them a little during our group ride of about 45 bikes. They were on an RT but told friends that they did not feel welcome.

·
Registered
13 Posts
1125 Ulysses..piece of crap. Electronics ALWAYS going out. traded at 900 miles because it was in shop more then on road.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi... Haven't ridden in over 14 years and now have a lttile of 1000 miles on my new RS.

I get about 90% of other bikes wave... My theory regardig non-wavers :

They are fairly hew to the Harley Set and think they are suppose to snub all others... I have found most long term riders to be great.

Mike

·
Registered
377 Posts
I have had about 99% positive reactions. As to the "rider wave" from riders approaching in the opposite direction I have found the friendliest to be sportbike riders, Harley riders the least although that is not to say all of them are unfriendly. David

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have owned my RSS for about a month now and everyone seems to like it, I have gone to bike nights and rides and everywhere I go no matter the crowed Im stuck answering questions. Its actually very surprising to me that I have met so many people that have never heard or seen the spyder. :eek:

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Welcome to the life of a Rock Star!!:D
I've found friends on all makes and models of two-wheelers; but BMW and Harley owners do seem to wave a bit less often... If somebody asks why you didn't buy a real bike... tell 'em you found something even MORE fun!
I think I will have to say I found something with more fun and less pucker factor.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have not had mine long but came off two wheels and have rode for years with friends that still are on the 2 wheels nothing but good times so far they seem very impressed, everytime I stop, someone will always ask about the Spyder, I have even had old school bikers ( 1% ) chase me down to take a closer look and they have had nothing but good things to say. Its been hard to talk any of them in taking it for a ride it does take a bit to get use to and brake the 2 wheel habits. I still put my feet down at stops, try to grab that front brake lever and lean into the turn instead of just steering it. It is getting better with time. You will love the Spyder and adapt faster to it if you haven't been on 2 wheels in awhile.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts