Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We don't have many miles on our Spyder yet and we are having a slight problem when we ride it and the temp is between 90 and 100 degrees. If I ride the bike and then stop it for a few minutes, after I crank it back and go again, it develops a surge almost like a vapor lock. Also, when stopped hot, it sometimes has a strong gas smell like it is venting gas vapors. Is this normal for these bikes in high temperatures or do I have a problem? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
They run better in snow.

Spyders are just Skidoos with wheels. They run well in Canada but BRP has to look at southern temperature issues. I want to take mine to Florida with me for 6 months, but don,t want to get frustrated with over heating and the heat thrown of the rad. I am sure BPR has heard the complaints but still hasn't come up with a fix.
Your not alone. Lots of us have heat issues.

Mike

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've blocked the larger top exhaust hole to keep some of the heat off my legs and removed the belly pan to compensate, with no overheating so far. If you want to be bold, cut out some of the remaining plastic after removing the belly pan to allow more venting of hot air downward and underneath. I haven't done that yet but will consider it if I start to get over heating issues.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Is this normal for these bikes in high temperatures or do I have a problem? Thanks.
We live in TX, where I've ridden quite often in 90 to 103 temps. We have not had any of the issues you described, so I tend to think that you do indeed have a problem.

We have 2011 RS-S (aka "The Pumpkin"), in case you're interested.......

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Which model and year Spyder do you have? BRP made some changes for 2011 to help with starting n hot weather...
My 2010 RT sometimes is a bit slow to fire up when it's warm... Just be careful that you don't foul a plug in these situations!
It is a 2010 RS-M5, no pipe or juice box (yet). Just a stock bike. It is the fastest color though; RED!!:D

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
From Sypderlovers.com forum:

Problem: Posted by Lamonster - What can happen is when the throttle body plates are being held shut for 40 min. they can get stuck and burn up the motor and then you have to replace the throttle body. This fix is going to back it off a degree or so.

This was released on July 4th and effects all 2011 Spyder RT's.

A. RT Throttle body actuator protection (see above)
B. Middle side panel grommet replacement (Problem: one of the 3 rubber grommets holding the middle side panels might fall off after multiple removal and reinstallation of the middle side panel.)

0.3 hour = flat rate time

I wasn't able to post the file so I emailed it to Lamonster.

Note: 2011-7 is also listed on the front page of this announcement. The rubber grommet shows a part number of 705 003 264.

·
Registered
17 Posts
2008 GS Stutters at 3,000 RPM

At 3,000 RPM the stutter is almost like it is miss firing.
It appears to do it after it is at operating temperature.
I am not sure if it quits after 3,000 as the motor makes enough noise
that I cannot tell.
There is about 5,000 miles on the Spyder. It will do it with 91, 89, 87 Octane.
Any ideas?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts