Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if anyone has encountered an extremely hot tank when riding for about 20 minutes on a 90 degree day.

My husband, who is teaching me to ride, said I should keep my legs against the tank and shift my weight in the direction of my turns. I went around the block on my spyder tonight and when I tucked my legs in for turn it burned.

Is this normal? Is there a pad or heat protector that I can use?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Check to see if the gaskets at the top of the Y-pipe are still sealing, I just had that on mine and the gaskets were shot. Exhaust was leaking out there making a hot spot right at the leg, along with a lot of extra noise. may not be your issue, but it was my issue....lol

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you we will take a look at that.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
If you can't find the problem, perhaps a call to the creator may shine some light on it for you. Try 715-842-8886. That's to BRP in Wausau, Wisconsin.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you can't find the problem, perhaps a call to the creator may shine some light on it for you. Try 715-842-8886. That's to BRP in Wausau, Wisconsin.
Thank you I will call and ask. I assume that means that my husband was right that you shift your weight into the turn and bring your legs against the tank.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Yes, your hubbie had the right idea. Slide your hip off of the side of the seat that's to the inside of the turn, lean your body over, straightening the arm that's toward the outside of the curve, and hold on to the tank with your knees. Getting your body out of the centrifugal force makes the turns much smoother, with less wind pushing against you and less gripping of the seat with your butt to hold on. :) (Did that all make sense?)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, your hubbie had the right idea. Slide your hip off of the side of the seat that's to the inside of the turn, lean your body over, straightening the arm that's toward the outside of the curve, and hold on to the tank with your knees. Getting your body out of the centrifugal force makes the turns much smoother, with less wind pushing against you and less gripping of the seat with your butt to hold on. :) (Did that all make sense?)
Yes, that makes sense. So if I am turning right, I shift my weight right, lean my body right and straighten the left arm and hold my knees against the tank. Is that right?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you so much, I appreciate the assistance. Now to go and get my learners permit so I can be a little closer to being legal. :D

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
It'll feel strange at first, but the more you do it, the quicker it'll feel natural and you won't have to think about it at all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hot to the touch!

Just got a RT-S, now with just under 350 miles on it and the heat is already a big issue with my girlfriend and I. To the touch the trunk on the right side is very hot, between that and the heat from the radiator on the right side, being 98F here in Houston, and her in shorts, she now has a heat rash or burn on her right leg. It was even hot to touch with my hands, and this was the back of her leg that was touching the hot shell of the side trunk.

Also I get a lot of heat blowing up right near the front of the seat and if the windshield is up, I get more heat in my face from it.

Brand new toy and already getting burnt by it on the first ride.

Allan

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Brand new toy and already getting burnt by it on the first ride.

Allan
I am sorry Allan that your girlfriend got burned. Have you called the dealer, just to have it checked out and make sure that everything is OK.

I have actually changed the way I sit on the bike to accomodate for the heat, it was my husbands idea and it has worked well so far.

·
Registered
160 Posts
That just seems really odd. I would definitely check with the dealer. Mine gets a little hot on the right side (it's in the 90's here in New Mexico), but I ride with long pants and boots, so it doesn't really affect me. Yours must be running hot for some reason. Hopefully the dealer can diagnose it and fix it. That would just take all the fun out of the bike. So sorry to hear she got burned. That's terrible.

--Andy

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have had my Spyder for about 2 weeks. I also have a hot tank and my leg and foot boils just going for short rides. I can't imagine how uncomfortable it will be on long rides. Yesterday was a 40 min ride to drop it off to be fixed. It has had multiple icons flashing since the night I brought it home and it now says "Brake Failure" even though the brakes are working (squeak horribly since day one though :p). I love the Spyder though. I'm 5'1 and want to be on 3 wheels. I just hope they can fix all the issues.
Would like to know if anyone else gets a boiling leg or foot though...
Kristie

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
There's an after-market addition to help with the heat on the feet. I've forgotten what its called, though I bought and had my husband install.

The hot tank sounds like it could be a problem, though. Have the bykes checked out!

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Trx is correct, that's what I meant! Thanks!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts