Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Out riding my new RT and encountered a dead raccoon in the road. I was on a narrow two lane, witH a vehicle coming toward me, so I had very little room to try to avoid hitting the dead animal. I hit the raccoon with quite a thud, and immediately the engine died. I stopped on the side of the road and it took me a bit to get the engine started again. I noticed that the kill engine switch was in the kill position. II’m quite sure that my hand did not hit that switch when I hit the raccoon, but can’t be positive. Could that thump have made the kill engine switch change position? Could something else in the Spyder have been triggered to shut the engine off due to hitting the animal? It was disconcerting, to say the least.

·
Super Moderator
1,031 Posts
It is likely that the switch was partially operated already. That is, it was stuck in the middle and the bump cause it to switch to OFF.

·
Banned
17 Posts
I hit a racoon once in the dark on my way to work on my Guzzi. Scared the poop right out of me, never saw it at all, just WHOOMP, what hell! I saw what I hit on my way home, there was actually 2 of them dead in the road so I don't know if I killed one or it was already dead.

·
Registered
90 Posts
It's also possible the nanny shut the bike down if it thought one wheel lifted off the ground. It doesn't take much for that thing to kick in. But if the kill switch was indeed in the off position, you most likely bumped it unintentionally.

Reactions: Gordo

·
Super Moderator
1,031 Posts
It's also possible the nanny shut the bike down if it thought one wheel lifted off the ground.
No, I don't think that is possible.
Pretty sure that one of the automatic compensation options for the nanny is NOT to completely shut the engine off.

·
Registered
90 Posts
No, I don't think that is possible.
Pretty sure that one of the automatic compensation options for the nanny is NOT to completely shut the engine off.
You are absolutely correct, it would go into limp mode instead unless it didn't function correctly.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How does “limp mode” affect the bike? Fortunately I have not yet experienced this.

·
Super Moderator
1,031 Posts
How does “limp mode” affect the bike? Fortunately I have not yet experienced this.
It limits the engine RPM and road speed......in an attempt to avoid engine damage from some kind of critical fault.

The only time I saw it, it really didn't limit anything, apparently because the condition that triggered it went away.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does something show on the screen telling you it’s in “limp mode”?

·
Registered
90 Posts
The only time my wife's trike has gone into limp mode was from some very high gusting crosswinds that lifted the right front tire. She said it shut her down for just a second or 2 then continued on as if nothing was wrong. Which really means she didn't see the display to say if it showed limp mode or not. This was at highway speeds so things happen fast and all the nanny did was just get the wheel back on the ground. Something the Ryker can do all day long and not complain about but not her big RT model, it wants to have a solid footing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts