Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see a lot of people complaining of issues about spyders.I have owned many bikes and am just crazy about the design of this bike.Every one can't be disappointed are there any riders with no problems or minimal problems.I am having issues with good ol HD so I know nothing comes without some flaws.help?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Hi, Vegas!

Welcome! I've had my '08 RS SM5 since March, and haven't had any problems. The majority of the time when you see folks posting here, its because they do have an issue and need advice. The rest of the folks are out riding because their bikes are working correctly.

As with any vehicle, there's always a chance of something going wrong. If you buy, make sure the service record reflects any recalls having been done, and that maintenance is up to speed. Best thing you can do is take care of your ride!

·
Super Moderators
2,781 Posts
They are like any other vehicle. some have more issues than others. personally I have had only a couple of minor warrenty ones and like most have the heat issues that are standard with them, but have dealt with them in a way that has not cost a ton of cash

But like any vehicle you either deal with the issues or get something else.

I think all of us have had some sort of issue at one time or another, but have dealt with them as needed

you hear the horror stories but most people who have them will tell you that they love their Spyder and would never go back to a fall 'em off bike as I like to call a normal 2 wheeler

so do your homework and research and go from there

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys I understand sometimes on a forum a real nice one such as this you see complaints to get resolve but thank you I am going to test ride one on Saturday up the road in grant.

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts
Let's face it; Most folks just LOVE a soapbox that they can climb up on and grump and grouse about every perceived slight or wrong that they've had to endure while survivng on this unjust World... :eek:
There's lots of us out here who are more than happy with our Spyders. To be fair: I am having a small issue with mine, but it's going to the dealer soon for servicing and I suspect that it'll come back to me better than ever! :cool:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
504 Posts
Our Spyder was recalled because of the Power steering unit (DPS) and then had to go back because the software at the dealer was not updated. Thats pretty much it as far as our spyder is concerned. I have done a lot of after market stuff with it and complianed about all the body work that seems to always have to come off every freaking time you do anything but that is pretty minor. We are also lucky to have a great dealer but I think that is getting better in more locations.

As for the spyder we love it. We have had ours a little over a year and my wife who hates motorcycles loves to ride with me on the Spyder. The one thing I would say is don't let first impressions be the final deciding factor. It seems that there are a lot of us that took longer to adjust to the Spyder. In my case for about the first 300 miles or so I thought I had made a huge mistake. Once I got comfortable on the bike and with how it handled I was amazed how much fun the Spyder is and how well it actually does handle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
2009 RS SE5 paddle shifter issue

I have 5,300 miles on my SE5, but I am having a problem. The paddle shifter sticks and sometimes i have to flick the paddle 3-5 times for it to shift either up or down. It appears it also will stick in the half way point, not moving freely. Hope I have explained this where it makes sense. I have parked for now, until this issue is resolved.

I am taking it to the dealer to have it looked at, but thought i would ask in here for idea's.

·
Registered
504 Posts
So when your bike is just sitting (not running) does the paddle move freely or does it feel sticky? I wonder if something could have gotten in to cause the problem. Might try some canned air like they use for cleaning computer keyboards to spray and free things up. Thats the first thing I would try. I would stay away from stuff like wd40 because it would attract dirt etc...and make things worse in the long run.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Ok, so I'm having a small problem with my hands being too small to comfortably engage the clutch... but have figured out how to hold my hand so I'm able. That's not a bike issue.

Then there's the recall that I can't seem to get done, because the dealership managed to lose their mechanic before he could get to my bike. The other dealership nearby has a waiting list that's several months long, and they want to keep the bike for several weeks while they take the part off and get it fixed so they can put it back on. But that's not really a bike issue, that's a people problem.

Other than that, I can't complain.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Vegas 22

Gene Middleton here from New Cumberland, PA. Well, by now hopefully you've had your test drive on the Can-Am and that alone will make you a believer.

I'm almost afraid to post an answer to your inquiry least I "tempt the fates" but here goes anyway. Once you get past the initial discomfort that the Can-Am doesn't lean but the rider does it really gets to be more fun than should be legal.

From a stand point of troubles I am happy to report that when I got my 2009 Spyder this past July it had only 1200 miles on it and there had been only two recall notices, for power steering and software update. A simple check of the VIN number determined Both had been done and when I took it in for it's 3000
Mile check the only "squaks" I had were that the parking brake needed to be adjusted and occasionally the brakes will squeal, a problem although minor but appears to be universal with the Can-Am.

To date, 2000 trouble free incredibly fun miles. There have been a few horror stories of people being ripped off by dealers with ridiculous high service fees so
One will always want to shop carefully and always ask what it's going to cost. Good warranty service work at the 3000 mile check covers a lot of items and mine clocked in at just under $ 300.00, pretty much what one would expect when servicing a new car to keep the warranty in effect.

Happy news for me was to learn that the previous owner purchased the extended warranty which carried over to me as the second owner and keeps me covered till May of 2013!!

Finally, I believe it to be a significant indicator of customer satisfaction when you try as I did with my 2009 Spyder to try and find a good deal on the used market. You would not believe the searching I did and it was just "dumb luck" on the Internet that I found my baby.

Good luck and good riding.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'm assuming from your username that you are actually in Vegas. If so, buy your bike from ProShop up on Lake Mead in Henderson. Its a great family owned business that really takes care of their customers. They put up with my window shopping and test drives since 08 until I finally bought one last week. Had a couple small issues with the bike itself that they had resolved within 20 minutes. Left front fender decided it wanted to try to come off on the freeway. seems someone at the factory broke it and tried to epoxy it back on. These guys took the fender off of one of their new floor models and put it on my bike for me so I wouldn't have to wait while the part was ordered. Didn't even have to ask for that! the other issue was just a light bulb replacement in the same fender. bulb probably broke internally due to the wobbling of the fender when it came loose. Needless to say, having only had my bike a week, I'm really impressed with these guys. Already 500 miles on my bike too almost time to pay for the first service already :p

Seems the only other place in Vegas to buy is RideNow, which, i think tends to be used bike as far as spyders go. Could be mistaken though. I almost bought a bike from them a few years ago. The deal fell through. Something just didn't feel right to me so I walked away. Even though the deal fell through, they still pushed through the credit application and I got a Yamaha credit card in the mail a week later. No balance on it, but still, should never have been opened.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am a small, petite woman that just bought a new Spyder RT with the manual transmission.
Unfortunately, my hand is very small and I am having great difficulity using the clutch. It is causing my hand much pain. I can only ride around the neighborhood for 15 minutes before my hand is too exhausted and hurting. I have called 2 dealerships and they have been useless in remedy ideas...
Do you have any ideas or suggestions on how to make the clutch easier for my small hand?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hi, I have an SE5 so, I'm not sure if this is still the case but looking back in forum posts apparently the spyder clutch has three positions, have you adjusted to try them out? Then, apparently removing the adjustment wheel gets you an extra 1/4".

If that's still not enough another forum post has riders who swapped out the stock lever for a pazzo racing lever which has 6 positions and is made for the spyder!

Pazzo Racing - Performance Sportbike Custom Levers

Hope that helps!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts