Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am taking my spyder back to the factory settings with some of the upgrades I have and I'm having trouble removing the back seat rest to put the plastic piece back on. Any ideas? I spoke with the dealership and they said it would take then an hour, really? BTW I'm a lady rider and really could use the help in getting this thing off. Looks like it needs a special tool, different from the side panel tool. Also, I have lot's of parts so if you need any let me know. Thanks for any help you can give. Edie:eek:

·
Registered
504 Posts
Putting the backrest on was one of the first things I did on my RS. I will say this was one major pain in the you know what. Personally I would just take the back rest off and put on the plate that came with the kit. I do that all the time when my wife is not riding with me. All the panels upper lower and under fender have to be stripped off. The battery needs to come out, then if memory serves you can unbolt the center that goes all the way through the plate assembly. You will also need to pull the cable assembly that releases the back rest when you want to use the plate instead of the back rest. I am a bit fuzzy after that but it should be open enough to see what all needs to come out. Then you have to put it all back together.

My opinion is if you can get the dealer to commit to an hour Pay him up front, it's a deal!

·
Registered
504 Posts
Forgot to add there are two torx #20 I think that have to be removed from the outer cover and there are for fairly large allen head bolts under the back rest/plate that have to be removed. Sorry it's been over a year ago when I put the thing on. Under the seat is a cable that releases the back rest when you want to use the plate. The battery needs to come out to get the cable routed to or in this case from the back and out.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Welcome, Jarvis!

I'll sit over here in the girl corner with you - I'm no help on the mechanical stuff, but can keep you company! Mine came with the backrest... the original owner had it installed when he bought the Spyder. I didn't get a back cover piece when I bought the bike from him, but I like the way it looks even though I don't haul a passenger on a regular basis, so I'm keeping it.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Is there a backpack that fits the back seat and hooks to the backrest?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts