Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I blew it! I cut the rubber on my only key to put it on a keychain and now I get a bad key error and it wont start. Any experience out there replacing keys? Your help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderators
2,781 Posts
you will need to take your spare key and get another

prolly cost couple hundred

·
Registered
504 Posts
Keys on modern vehicles have chips in them and you probably drilled through and destroyed the chip. Don't know the proceedure but the dealer I think is your only option at this point.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Bought two extra keys from BRP thru dealer, $35. Took keys to reputable locksmith (the one that unlocked the handcuffs my secretary accidently put on without a key, long story :D), he cut them for $20. My dealer "paired" both to my machine for free. Damn Scion dealer took me for $50 for the one key and $100 to pair it to my toaster.

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts

·
Super Moderators
2,781 Posts
why do you need to drill any holes?

mine comes with a holder that you slip the key into where it clicks to hold it in place

I hang that whole thing on a normal key cahin

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
When I ride, and we stop, I put the key in my pocket. Otherwise, its stored safely where it won't fall out of the holder.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Can anyone tell me the BRP part# for the plastic key-fob that comes with the Spyder? I bought my RS used and it had only one. I need a second one for my spare key so I can keep it on a key-ring with the spare top-box key, but I can't find the part# since the "exploded view" system of parts identification on the OEM parts sites just don't include that item.
I need to buy a couple of extra parts soon so I want to add the key-fob to the order.

BTW, I think they do a great job, I don't have any trouble "trusting" a friction-grip device. The only problem I have had so far is forgetting to remove the key when parking! Must be very honest people at shopping centers here... :)

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Hey Bob,

That looks like a great idea but I couldnt find it doing a "key sheath" search. Do you have a name of the vender or something else that would help me track them down. Also did a search on "sheath" and did not realize some of the stuff that popped up actually was made much less was for sale.

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Thanks Bob......It popped up as soon as I put in Can Am Spyder Key Holder. got mine ordered......they really look like they would do the trick. Have always been leary of the BRP holder so just keep the spare in that holder in my tool box.

Thanks Again!!

·
Registered
504 Posts
My key pouch showed up in the mail yesterday. Can hardly believe how quick they shipped that out and got it to me. Very nice key holder.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts