Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BLUF:
Are RTS headlights 55 or 65W bulbs?
What happens when a 12.8V bulb is installed in a 12V system?

Went to Autozone last night to get some Silverlights and prepped to install them. As I finally break into the headlight assembly, before opening the package I see 65W/12.8V, at which point I wished I had beer and uttered a swear or two...or more.

Why the cussing you ask? The manual calls for a 55W bulb. However, the parts fiche calls the bulb an HB3 65W bulb. So which is it? I was too miffed to remember to check the OEM bulb specs before remounting the headlight assembly. Is a 65W bulb too hot and likely to melt stuff in the headlight assembly?

Also noted the Silverlights are 12.8V bulbs. Will the bulbs be underpowered given the 12V system? They won't cause excess pull on the system as the battery can only give 12V. Less volts to the bulb, less output is my guess. My fear is the 6% voltage decrease from the required 12.8 to the battery's 12 will obviate the benefit of the Silverlights.

Any thoughts?

Any what engineer designed the headlights? Jeez o flip. There is no changing them quickly on the road. And loving that deeply recessed bolt on the headlight assembly. Dang.

Thanks for any assistance. Hoping to install these suckers tonight or take them back tonight.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK. With patience and beer, I confirmed the stocker bulbs are
"Phillips HB3/12V/60W/E1-9005/65W/DOT"

Sylvania Silverstar Ultras are labelled
"Sylvania HB3 U 9005 SU-E1 22N 12V60W-DOT E2010 USA"

Not sure why blister pack calls them 12.6V/65W.

I'm such a noob at this stuff. If I melt something, I'll update the post.

Tschuss fur jetzt

1 - 2 of 2 Posts