Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone how's it going? My name is Jin and I just recently agreed to purchase a 2009 Can Am Spyder SE5. Im actually heading down to the dealership later on this afternoon to pick up the Spyder and I have to say Im pretty excited but at the same time a little nervous as well. I'm excited because it's been over two years since amputating my lef leg above the knee that was the last time Id ridden a motorcycle. I'm a disable veteran and still currently serving active duty in the US Army, and I told myself I would never do anything that will put my body i'm danger but here I am again purchasing a motorcycle. So guys should I be nervous? I've test ridden the SE5 Spyder and I have to be honest, this is the safest thing I've ever ridden. I practically don't have to do anything with my leg except for braking and thank god I still have a right leg which I can do. But im just worry about getting struck, or cars wont be able to see me on the road and hit me and lose another limb or maybe worse, Death! But the old saying goes "once a rider, you will always be a rider." I had a CBR1000 before and never had an accident. But obviously I cant ride a two wheeler anymore because I don't have afoot to shift or a knee to stable a bike. But the Spyder is practically a "disabled " bike because I don't need yo worry about that. And I'm not a speed demon or a reckless rider so I know speed is the factor. But guys you think is a good idea after losing a limb in the time of war and hop on a motorcycle after? Or should I just enjoy the fact that im still alive and everything happened for a reason?

·
Registered
570 Posts
Jin, let me first offer a big thank you for your service to our country!

A Spyder is still a motorcycle in the fact that in a collision with a car, the motorcycle will take most of the damage. Just remember those old riding skills from your Honda and you should be fine.

Personally, I always wear a jacket, helmet boots and gloves. I also assume that the other cars on the road are "out to get me" and will pull out in front of me. That attitude has saved me a few times. Like you, I am in the have not crashed YET club, hoping that my next ride does not end that membership.

Take some time to learn how the Spyder handles. If it feels different, that is because it is. But there some things you can do to improve the handling. Don't be afraid to search this forum or ask questions. I had to add preload in the front and increase the tire pressure to make my Spyder the joy to ride that it is.

I agree, the SE5 transmission does make the bike super easy to ride. Having reverse is nice also. But don't forget that the Spyder has 2 wheels out front and is pretty wide.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tip Spyder Dave. The Army do require all soldiers who operates a motorcycle to wear the proper safety equipment from head to toe. And wearing a helmet is pretty much in my second nature since I have wore it so much in the army. I will definitely get the feel of the Spyder before I take it out on a highway or long distance trips.

·
Registered
58 Posts
hi h

Thank you for your service,Congrats on the spyder. As far as being visible to the other guy, the first thing to do is leave your brights on during the day. I learned this the first week. I was nearly invisible with low beams on, and very visible with high beams on. That should get you by until you add more lights up front. Ride safe,,,,,,,,,,,,,cozmos

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Welcome, Jin, and let me thank you for your service as well. I put my 6 in with the Air Force Reserve, and know the check you write is blank and can cost you, well, an arm or a leg. I'm sorry it cost you yours.

Having said that, be excited that you're still alive! Mom used to say, "If you're meant to drown, you're not gonna hang." She believed the major milestones in your life are pre-dispositioned and you're gonna go when you go, so enjoy each and every day you've got here, don't live in fear.

The Spyder is going to be great for you; get the feel again, and be stable at the same time. It will take a couple weeks to get used to, so give it that before you decide one way or the other.

The only suggestion I want to add is take extra care in the curves, the suggested position is to slide down off the inside of the seat to help with centrifugal force, and to grip the tank with your outside knee. Since you can't do that on one side, I suggest just slowing down a bit so that you don't experience the uncomfortable force of the curve. If that makes sense. The dropping off the inside of the seat is described in the manual, give that a read-through, you'll be happy you did.

Again, welcome!! Looking forward to pics when you get your new baby!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts