Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My grips are staying on in the high temperature no matter what setting I put the switch. Anyone have a clue what I should do ?

·
Super Moderator
'17 RT Limited
1,253 Posts
My grips are staying on in the high temperature no matter what setting I put the switch. Anyone have a clue what I should do ?
Sure.

First, the black bars and stock grips will get VERY hot just from sitting out in the sun.
So first park in the shade or take a ride at night to be sure it isn't just the hot sun doing it.
I've had a couple of times that I could SWEAR that my grip heaters were stuck on ........but they really weren't.

Then, if you aren't experienced with electrical circuit tracing......which asking the question in the first place would tend to indicate.......a dealer visit would be in order. The circuit is simple and the fix shouldn't be expensive.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Laura -- I assume you mean your grips turn off but when you turn them on both High and Low seem to be the same -- too hot after 10 minutes or so. Same for me.

I'm sure you know the heated vests for motorcyclists that use a variable controller where the heat level is shown as bars or blinks. Gerbing 12V Digital Dual Portable Temperature Controller - Wireless Ready - The Warming Store They achieve this using Pulse Width Modulation which turns heating power on and off many times a second for varying amounts of time (more time feels like more heat).

I've designed a similar device for my RT and I've put together a parts list at Amazon but haven't hit the Buy Now button yet. But with winter around the corner I probably should do so soon. The intent is to replace the toggle switch with an adjustable knob and telltale light. But it would be faster to buy an existing controller. Plus I think I have an extra one laying around somewhere. Gotta stop procrastinating...

Your heating wires run through a groove in the round portions of the handlebars and are surprising thin (20AWG). They are easily damaged on reassembly of the handlebars (the previous owner damaged both sides but repaired only the left). It's possible your wires are damaged. If so, the repairs will be a bit tricky and familiarity with electronics tools in small spaces will be needed.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Fair question.

There are three switch setting: Low-Off-High.

If the Off position was not working, I would expect she would state the problem as "I can't turn the heated grips off."

But her stating the grips stayed on High kinda sounded like she couldn't distinguish between Low and High heating, which has been my experience where I repeatedly turn the grips on and off during my ride because in a few minutes either position gets a bit too warm for comfort.

So I explained my assumption based on her phrasing and my experience.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts