Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderators
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone have heat issues coming from the catalytic converter?

hot feet for both driver and passenger

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes I noticed the same thing and it's coming out of the radiator hole with the fan. I have only 400 miles on a new RT A&C and my wife was complaining her right foot and leg was getting too hot. My right foot gets really hot, unbearable at times. The stupidest design I've every seen. I saw some folks in the forum mention that they installed fins to direct the heet away....I am starting to look into these options.

·
Super Moderators
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found a site where a guy makes heat shield for the catalytic converter and he make another type of heat shield like Mr Gadget but his covers the entire hole. I think the passenger would be the one to really notice the heat from the catalytic converter, not sure they would notice from the rad though

Looks great on a black bike but I think would looke stupid on a white one

yeah spiderpops is the place

I also found a place that makes a complete shield that covers the fan and direct the hot air back on and under the engine, not sure if I like that idea

·
Registered
5 Posts
Right about hot!

I just got a RT limited this weekend and only got about 350 miles on it and right now the biggest problem is the heat on the right side, like other here I see now. My girlfriend was wearing shorts and with the Texas heat being in the upper 90's and the added heat from the radiator, gave her a red rash on her right leg. Plus my right foot was also very hot too. Poor design on my option, maybe great when it is cold out, but for Houston Texas, cold is not an issue here. I like the idea of forcing the radiator's air down under the bike.

Second problem was fuel mileage being about 12 mpg. We think that is due to a fuel leak some where, so it is already gone back to the dealership.

Allan

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for the info. everyone. Regarding the 12 mpg. it must have been the fuel leak. On my very first tank on a brand new RT A & C I almost got 36 mpg. My next two tanks got about 38 mpg.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Definitely take the bike in for a check on the 12 mpg. That's way too low... sounds like a leak to me, too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
does anyone have heat issues coming from the catalytic converter?

hot feet for both driver and passenger
:confused:I just test drove a 2009 SE5 Spyder today. The right side was so hot on my right foot and leg. Not going to buy it this is a problem.So I was really glad when I saw someone else with this issue. The Can-AM isn't at a Can-AM dealer so they had no idea what was going on. If you find out what the issues is I hope you email me or post it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I found a site where a guy makes heat shield for the catalytic converter and he make another type of heat shield like Mr Gadget but his covers the entire hole. I think the passenger would be the one to really notice the heat from the catalytic converter, not sure they would notice from the rad though

Looks great on a black bike but I think would looke stupid on a white one

yeah spiderpops is the place

I also found a place that makes a complete shield that covers the fan and direct the hot air back on and under the engine, not sure if I like that idea
Where was this place that has complete shield that covers the fan plus directs heat under engine?

·
Super Moderators
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
spyderpops.com

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yeapper! Got mine in May 2010. 4 months later @ dealers with heat problem. Was told. "we can't do anything or your warranty will be voided". No help there at all.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Amen on the heat!

You are all so right about the heat. I have a brand new RT with less than 150 mile on it. Tonight my wife and I decided to take a short evening ride. Granted, we are in Florida and the temperature was over 90, but the heat coming from the bike was absolutely stifling. I was sweating and had a headache and nausea from it (we had been going fairly slow) and so we headed home early.

I've ridden a variety of motorcycles and never experienced heat like this one. I'm sure it will be great on a cool winter day, but it sure isn't much fun in July.
Bruce

1 - 13 of 13 Posts