Can-Am Spyder Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im new to can-am spyders, been riding Harleys for almost 45 yrs. but now I need something a little easier to ride. Problem is almost every thing you read on here is negitive, heat problems, sensor problems, steering problems. Does any one have positive comments. Im thinking about a 2009 Phantom, price is a little high but it has a lot of add ons. Any info would be app.

p

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts
Welcome aboard! One thing that comes quickly to mind is that some folks are just never happy... It doesn't mean that they're making stuff up or are wrong; it's just that they'll find a way to make something sound terrible to anybody who'll listen.
I love the way my RT rides and handles! Is it different? You betcha! There's a definite learning curve here that can't be denied In my case though it has been a 100% (Well.... maybe 97%) positive experience!
If I was going to give you any advice, it'd be to take a test ride on one first to see what you think before starting to write checks... Happy shopping and good luck!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
12 Posts
I agree with Bob on the test ride... I had done all my due-diligence research, but until I finally rode one (actually two - one manual and one semi-auto) I wasn't sold on the idea of 3 wheels much less the first year for a brand new Touring ride... I am still reading and see a lot of naysayers, and while they may be justified in their complaints and problems, what I have found in many, many years of reading all kinds of forums, is you see more people asking about or talking about problems than you do talking about the good stuff. I sold my last HD 5 years ago after riding it for 15 years and owning 2 before it for another 5 years and you know all the "bad mouthing" HD takes. Only reason I didn't buy another Harley was I wanted a 3 wheeler and didn't want a Tri-Glide...

Go ride one or two and remember, it ain't a motorcycle and won't ride like one, but damn, they are a blast :D ... I may be singing a different tune when I finally get mine home, but I doubt it.. my eyes were wide open when I wrote the check...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
harley to can-am

thanks sounds like good advice, just bought a new 2010 street glide 4600 miles ago which i plan to keep but the spyders you see on the road make you want to ride one of those wife has a trike but i dont like riding it

·
Registered
13 Posts
Big Bird

was bought off of eBay. I rode it home from Lake Geneva, WI in two and a half days... I got it with 743 miles on her, an 'o8 GS, with pipe and the whole Corbin suite... no problem. Sure, some things I'd like to add or up grade, but that is the nature of this beast... did do the test ride at the bike shop in Greenville, SC with my wife before we wrote out our check... makes a difference... and for the record, my FXWG was my harley that I rode for 8+ years, and this is the first bike that I like as much... different, yeah, but so sweet.:cool:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Switched from Harley to Can Am

I am 49 and have always been a Harley rider. My last bike was a special edition red and orange sunburst/red candy Low Rider. I absolutely loved the bike once I put the 17" bars on them. But unfortunately I was in a severe car accident in 2000 that ended my riding career, so I thought. I laid in bed for almost 10 years on heavy heavy meds. Then I saw the BRP RT commercial. I drove past a shop one day and thought, well I'm sure it can't do it, but what could a demo hurt. Well it hurt about $24600 with tax, etc. I could actually ride this thing and love it. The seat has a cutout in the coccyx area and lumbar. I had my Pain Mgmt Dr take a look to see if he would approve this, given disability issues and such and he thought it was a great idea. Well, I can't ride for hours, I do have something to look forward to every day. By the way did I say I love it ! I bought the RT Audio and Convenience Package at Proshop MotorSports and Marine in Las Vegas from the co-owner Matt. The customer service, the bike's features and everything else made me a very happy camper. By the way, did I say I love it ? I haven't had any issues mentioned in these forums. I remember the Harley forums always had complaints on bikes that I never had any problems with either. Some people cannot be happy and some do have actual problems that a $20K+ bike shouldn't have. But no probs here man. Have I said I love it yet ! Get one - Tom , Las Vegas

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
harley to can-am

[email protected] im not disabled althought some days i feel like i am, this is the kind of comment i was hoping for, your right some people never happy think ill try to buy one off e-bay, if i find what i want if not theres a dealer about 90 miles away. thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
The wife and I both have Spyders and LOVE them. No problems here. She belongs to a club of sports bikes and cruisers, and who's bike do u think gets all the attention? We took them both to Myrtle Beach for bike week and had a ball. Again, they are attention getters. We each added a tailgunner pipe and fusion lights, and these bikes are outragous. Fun fun fun to ride. Screw the naysayers.....we love em!

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Also a old Harley rider,,,50 yrs,,,just bought a 2010 RTS,,,so far so good only have riden abought 700 miles,,,only complaint is rt.leg gets hot where fan air exits...still got my ole Shovelhead..

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thats 50 yrs riding bikes Bob,,,,,and the heat coming off the Radiator is a lot worse than the open V-twins,,, I guess its because it comes out by your right leg,,,,needs some sort of deflector,which I might come up with,,,,and the steering is not right on mine also,which I have been reading about others having the same problem,,,will talk to dealer about this.........

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts
I know that I bumped the preload up on the front shocks by one notch and it made a noticeable difference. I'd imagine that tire pressures are a bit finicky from one side to the other. When I got mine back from break-in servicing, it wasn't "right"... a 2 lb air pressure difference from one front tire to the other made the steering a bit flighty... got it back down to within a half-pound difference and all was good again.:cool:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
13 Posts
About the heat issues

This bike has less heat issues than the FJR and the Honda ST's... I had a ST1100 and the heat coming off the radiator on the V4 was twice what Big Bird gives out, even in stop and go traffic on a hot day... get the steering sorted out and Go Ride! Glenn:D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts