Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I'm a newbie so please forgive me if this has been asked before. I bought a new to me 2008 GS last night and I'm have a hard time getting used to the lack of a handlebar mounted brake. I have been riding bikes for 40 some years and going for the foot brake first is just not natural. Does anyone know of a cost effective solution? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
brakes

I know what you mean Clicker but this is not my primary ride and a front brake lever is on every other thing I own (bike, motorcycle, snowmobile etc). This is a small price to pay to ride this machine.

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
brakes

I don't have any problem with the linked system, my FJR uses it also, it's just the natural reflex to grab the front brake(along with rear) in a panic situation. I can't be the only guy that rides multiple machines that feel this way.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi all,
I'm a newbie so please forgive me if this has been asked before. I bought a new to me 2008 GS last night and I'm have a hard time getting used to the lack of a handlebar mounted brake. I have been riding bikes for 40 some years and going for the foot brake first is just not natural. Does anyone know of a cost effective solution? Thanks.

Hello to all!!

I have found a solution than can be achieved for under 100 dollars if you want a simple cable in use.
As soon as I get delivery to my spyder back I will post the method of the modification and parts used.
If fact I have all ready price the parts and I am hoping to make a kit out of this for anyone who is interested.

From OZ with Love
Tony

·
Registered
504 Posts
hand brake

I am very interested. My right leg is artificial and paid 600.00 for what ended up a less than I hoped for conversion to a left side foot brake. In the end if I can't find a more affordable solution I guess I will spring for the 1250.00 kit I have seen offered.

Thanks

Mike

·
Registered
24 Posts
Like yourself, I have many years of motorcycling habits that stimulate me to reach for the front lever. And there are also times when it's great to have a brake handy, when the footbrake isn't easy to reach--say when loading on a trailer, or rolling around the garage.

I did a custom installation on my SE, using a mechanical cable that operates a bell crank that applies the "rear" brake pedal. You don't want to think about plumbing into the dual ABS systems, which are intricately tied into the computers. When I squeeze the handlebar lever, it just pushes down the foot lever. When braking, my habit is to use both brakes, so foot pressure is simply added to hand pressure.

If you don't already have "bike" braking habits or bikes in your stable, you should be quite fine with the footbrake only. But if you have "bike" habits or ride bikes with a front lever, know that it's possible to do a conversion.

Try contacting Chris Paulson at Paulson's in Lacey, WA. [email protected], 360 456-8444 x 101

or
Patrick Cottini in Chico CA at [email protected] (530) 898-0914

pmdave

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Tony,
Sorry to bother you, I am looking to buy a can am but first of all I need to find how to fit a standard handle bar brake on it,I saw your post from a while back and thought I'd give you a try, to see if you had got yours sorted out?, the reason being I'm a permanant wheelchair user / a paraplegic, I have a honda st1300 that I had triked up nearly 10 years ago, and thought a can am would be a good upgrade, but with no leg movements the brake has to be found first, if you did get it working could you let me know ( I think your thread said you were thinking of making a kit?, if it works, I would be intrested ) thanks for your time,John in the UK.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I found a video showing a cable actuated handlebar lever brake. It will require welding a pickup point on the existing foot brake lever. Now I just have to locate the right lever mount and cable. He said he used a Morris Lever and a M109 cable. I sure would like to have a little more info on the parts. Looks like a really good setup and cost.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've got to change this braking system. Too many hard openings, hard landings and mid air collision have rendered my worn out body unable to work this foot brake well. A hand brake will solve the problem.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Brake !!!! ???

Hi all,
Had the same problem with some degree of panic a couple of times, I nearly crushed the right grip trying to stop!! So I went to a deserted road and practiced stopping hundreds of times ( i'm a slow learner) until the new habit was ( brakes ? use the foot ). Very cheap and cost effective for me.:)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts