Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had polio as a kid and wear a long leg brace on my right leg. I've not owned a bike before but I'm considering getting a Spyder to help myself stay young (my response to turning 62!). If I purchase a semi automatic I'm still faced with a right-sided foot break which will not work for me. I'm looking at options of either having the break converted to a left-sided position or having a handbrake installed. Have people done either and do you have recommendations about one option versus the other? Thank you!

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts
Hiya "Rusty"!
There are a whole bunch of companies producing handbrakes for the Spyders, so unfortunately the best I can do is suggest that you contact them, explain the siuation, and see what they suggest. I bought my RT's floorboards from ISCI and think that the quality of their products is great. I know that they also make a handbrake kit... but there are others out there! Happy shopping!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
504 Posts
I actually did both. My right leg is artificial so the regular right side foot brake did not work for me. I wanted a hand brake but the dealer did not know about the ISCI co. so I ended up getting a company to do a left foot brake. I did not like the left foot brake for a variety of reasons but mainly because I was so used to the hand brake for cycles, ATV's etc... that I have had. I found out about the ISCI hand brake system and after gulping at the roughly $1,200.00 price tag ordered it. Once installed the ISCI system looks like the bike came from the factory. It is that good. I have since taken off the left foot brake as it looked pretty cheesy. I highly recomend ISCI as the system is top notch and the folks there are more than willing to help in any way they can. It is expensive but once you get it and see the quality materials and engenering that went into the design and production it is worth it in my opinion.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i actually did both. My right leg is artificial so the regular right side foot brake did not work for me. I wanted a hand brake but the dealer did not know about the isci co. So i ended up getting a company to do a left foot brake. I did not like the left foot brake for a variety of reasons but mainly because i was so used to the hand brake for cycles, atv's etc... That i have had. I found out about the isci hand brake system and after gulping at the roughly $1,200.00 price tag ordered it. Once installed the isci system looks like the bike came from the factory. It is that good. I have since taken off the left foot brake as it looked pretty cheesy. I highly recomend isci as the system is top notch and the folks there are more than willing to help in any way they can. It is expensive but once you get it and see the quality materials and engenering that went into the design and production it is worth it in my opinion.
who did the left foot brake for you?

·
Registered
504 Posts
I had a local company here in Idaho do my left foot brake. There is a problem in routing the linkage under/through to the left side so some compromises were required and I found it did not work as well as the ISCI system. I paid 600.00 to do the foot brake that I did not like and 1,200.00 for the ISCI hand brake system that is spectactular in how it fits and functions. The design of the hand brake system uses the original system of the can am spyder and piggy backs on. All of the safety systems of the can-am remain unchanged and fully functional. I installed the whole system myself and as I have said before the most tedious part is removing all the body work required but that happens every time I add something it seems.

If you really want a foot brake I suggest looking for disability adaption companys that every major city has at least one of. I highly recomend that you at least call ISCI and talk with them about your needs. They are really a great bunch!

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
I had polio as a kid and wear a long leg brace on my right leg. I've not owned a bike before but I'm considering getting a Spyder to help myself stay young (my response to turning 62!). If I purchase a semi automatic I'm still faced with a right-sided foot break which will not work for me. I'm looking at options of either having the break converted to a left-sided position or having a handbrake installed. Have people done either and do you have recommendations about one option versus the other? Thank you!

An alternative to the fancy purchased handbrake setup is one that you build yourself.... several here have done it, I'll see if I can dig up the threads.

·
Registered
504 Posts
There are many ways to make the hand brake work. I like the ISCI system because it is hydrolic (sp) and drives a piston to the back of the regular right hand foot brake. It provides enough force so that it is nearly if not as powerful as the stock foot brake.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
There are many ways to make the hand brake work. I like the ISCI system because it is hydrolic (sp) and drives a piston to the back of the regular right hand foot brake. It provides enough force so that it is nearly if not as powerful as the stock foot brake.
It is a very well done system for sure. It also is engineered so it works with the ABS too, a big plus.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Hand brakes would be a good option. If companies offer modification then its well and good other can't these be moded by some experienced mechanic or engineer.
I was told that the reason for the foot brake had to do with one state needing it (the foot brake) to be registered their. That never made sense to me as scooters have always two hand brakes.

I actually think it would be cool if BRP offered hand brakes as an option on the Spyder. The Spyder (except for the foot brake) has been such a great thing for many who would love to ride, but their physical disabilities made it difficult or not possible. Why not make the complete package available from the factory?

The good news is there are quality aftermarket options available, and as seen in the other threads, do-it-your-selfers have done it too.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Hey thanks, I will look into other threads to get the modification done by self. Although I have not contacted any company but any idea how much they may charge for the same?
In CoryBud's post above he states $1200:

"...I had a local company here in Idaho do my left foot brake. There is a problem in routing the linkage under/through to the left side so some compromises were required and I found it did not work as well as the ISCI system. I paid 600.00 to do the foot brake that I did not like and 1,200.00 for the ISCI hand brake system that is spectactular in how it fits and functions. The design of the hand brake system uses the original system of the can am spyder and piggy backs on. All of the safety systems of the can-am remain unchanged and fully functional. I installed the whole system myself and as I have said before the most tedious part is removing all the body work required but that happens every time I add something it seems.

If you really want a foot brake I suggest looking for disability adaption companys that every major city has at least one of. I highly recomend that you at least call ISCI and talk with them about your needs. They are really a great bunch! "

·
Registered
504 Posts
Sorry I was not clear but the local business that did the foot brake for me charged me $600.00 for the left foot conversion. The ISCI hand brake kit was $1,200.00 and I put that on myself.

·
Registered
9 Posts
In CoryBud's post above he states $1200:

"...I had a local company here in Idaho do my left foot brake. There is a problem in routing the linkage under/through to the left side so some compromises were required and I found it did not work as well as the ISCI system. I paid 600.00 to do the foot brake that I did not like and 1,200.00 for the ISCI hand brake system that is spectactular in how it fits and functions. The design of the hand brake system uses the original system of the can am spyder and piggy backs on. All of the safety systems of the can-am remain unchanged and fully functional. I installed the whole system myself and as I have said before the most tedious part is removing all the body work required but that happens every time I add something it seems.

If you really want a foot brake I suggest looking for disability adaption companys that every major city has at least one of. I highly recomend that you at least call ISCI and talk with them about your needs. They are really a great bunch! "
Thanks I will contact ISCI to see what they can offer as well as disability adaption companies but now I am setting off to Uk if I get time I will be on to this forum.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What company did the left hand foot break for you?I was in a bad accident and I am a spinal cord patient. The left side of my body works pretty well but the right side just does not have the strength. I am looking to buy cv but need a left foot brake and throttle. Any recommendations appreciated

1 - 16 of 16 Posts