Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I am now a member of three different bike clubs (2 in Albuquerque, 1 in Santa Fe). I went on my first group ride last night. It was nice cruising under a nearly-full moon. Of course I was the only 3-wheeled bike. Just wondering if anyone else does group rides, and if so--where do you find yourself in the progression? We ride staggered, but since I take up the whole lane, I just cruise along in the middle.

--Andy

·
Registered
37 Posts
Sounds like a fantastic ride under the moon! When I lived back east, I belonged to a riding club and I did A LOT of group rides. When I came to AZ there wasn't a chapter for the club I was in, and I meant to join another club but never got around to it. Now that I have my new Spyder, I'm thinking about joining a club for the fun of group rides. You are definitely smart to take up the whole lane; with our wide front end we could end up hitting a fellow 2-wheeled cyclist if we needed to swerve.:eek:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It makes good sense to put the trike either leading or trailing. We use our last bike as the sweeper to make sure everyone gets where we're going. I'll need some experience before I'm able to take on either of those roles. For now I guess I'll just continue being a road hog in the middle of the formation. :)

Thanks!
Andy

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I ended up in the middle of the group. Though when my husband and I ride, he on his MC and me on my Spyder, it doesn't make a difference, I'm just as comfy in the lead as I am bringing up the rear.

As long as you're riding with responsible riders, it'll be fine no matter what position you end up in line.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My group has 3 Spyders and several motorcycles. We ride staggered and keep the Spyders on the right side of the group. They usually follow one another and fall in wherever they want. We keep them to the right because when they are staggered we can not see if anyone is missing behind them (All we see is headlights). Also, if they ride staggered there isn't enough room for one to pass another in the same lane if something happens. They ride on the right side because they like the right side more than the left.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts