Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Polaris Rzr EPS 570 SXS
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know what the weather is like elsewhere but here in central Arizona it has been awesome. We live in Payson {about 100 miles north of Phoenix} at 5,000'. Our daily dose of blue skies and low 70's improved to 75 with no wind yesterday. My bride and i jumped on our RT and rode half way up the Mogollon Rim and up Tonto Creek to the fish hatchery. The roads were empty and the riding was excellent. It won't be long before the winter temps start necessitating turning the grip heaters {oh the humanity} o_O but for now it is nothing but nice.

Here are a couple of shorts taken from the Mogollon Rim at 7,700', that's Highway 260 down below rising up and out of Payson 25 minutes from our driveway:

Cloud Sky Plant community Ecoregion Natural landscape

Cloud Sky Natural landscape Cumulus Terrain

:D

·
Registered
1 Posts
What weather is too cold to ride a motorcycle?

·
Super Moderator
1,197 Posts
What weather is too cold to ride a motorcycle?
There is no one right answer for that because it varies by individual and how warmly you dress.

BUT....in general when the reported temp gets below 40 F there can be scattered patches of frost that form on the road in shady areas so that makes it too dangerous for all riders in my book.

As far as comfort goes, I have found that my cutoff temp for riding goes up as I get older.
It is now up to 60 F. Yes, I'm getting OLD. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Want an adventure? Try wind and cold...

Got caught by a severe change in the forecast a few years back leaving Vegas. At 0800 when we rolled off of the strip on my Indian Springfield field it was 32 degrees with the wind out of the north at 35+ gusting to 50+. We were headed back to Laughlin where we had left our motorhome and trailer. We were dressed for it but no grip heaters. Going south the wind wasn't too bad as it was behind us but for the last 20 miles going due east to reach Laughlin it was a freaking nightmare. Gusts coming out of the canyons were moving me over a full lane with zero warning. I'm guessing the adrenaline was helping to keep me warm. Happily my Can Am Spyder happily came with grip heaters for both my bride and I.

:eek:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We did NOT know the conditions in advance... The front that moved in was a total surprise, the forecast was for temps in the upper 50's and light winds. Riding southbound in northerly winds is not much of a problem and we were sufficiently dressed for comfort and of course always ATGATT. Would I do it again? No. Have I ridden in the 30's before and or since? A couple of times but again while not much fun it is doable with the right bike and gear. Heated grips and/or a seat would have helped a lot.

:cool:

·
Super Moderator
1,197 Posts
We did NOT know the conditions in advance...
Not intending to start a fight here but............

From your description, the weather took a turn for the worse BEFORE you actually hit the road.
In my book, that is "in advance" and is quite different from being caught in a sudden weather change in the middle of a ride that had already started.

I always encourage people to NOT schedule their bike trips so that they end up thinking that they MUST ride to get back home at a certain time no matter how bad the conditions are. That kind of thinking can get you killed.
:oops:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No offense taken, like the man said opinions vary. The roads were dry we had a 2 hour ride ahead and elected to try it. The last 30 minutes were not fun but it was doable. We spent the next 48 hours hunkered down in our coach in Laughlin as the winds continued to pick up and blew 24/7.

:cool:

·
Registered
2021 F3
4 Posts
I know about being pushed sideways to the next lane. I lived on the Eastern Shore of MD years ago. Had my monthly meeting in Baltimore. Nice day so I decided to ride the Goldwing. All was fine until half way across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge into Annapolis. The wind pushed me from the middle lane to the far right lane, next to the edge. All I could see was there was nothing to keep me from going under cables and into the Bay should I go down. If you're not familiar with the bridge, the state has a pull off before crossing for people scared of heights. State workers will drive you and your car across the bridge. Trucks are restricted to far right lanes and I drove a large box truck across when moving to Salisbury. Sitting up high in the cab, all you see is a very long drop to the drink below, can make ya dizzy after a while. But I survived both ordeals luckily...lol.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts