Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks,

Presently a goldwing owner and love it but my wife will not get on two wheels. Started thinking about 3 wheels and was checking out the spyder touring bike. I noticed it is only 998cc (or there abouts) and was wondering if that was enough power for passing etc... Was also wondering how it handles as far as turning and curves etc.... I guess the best thing is to test drive one which I will do later. Are people satisfied after buying a can-am spyder? Thanks everyone.

Larry in Middle Tennessee

·
Registered
306 Posts
Hey Folks,

Presently a goldwing owner and love it but my wife will not get on two wheels. Started thinking about 3 wheels and was checking out the spyder touring bike. I noticed it is only 998cc (or there abouts) and was wondering if that was enough power for passing etc... Was also wondering how it handles as far as turning and curves etc.... I guess the best thing is to test drive one which I will do later. Are people satisfied after buying a can-am spyder? Thanks everyone.

Larry in Middle Tennessee
Welcome to the forum!

Many of the current RT owners were once GW owners. The GW is a heavey bike and being on two wheels. The three wheels of the RT make this issue mote. The RT is great at speed or when in stop and go traffic.

The engine is big enough for the RT and is re-camed for additional torque but it does NOT have the power of the GW but passing is not a problem. I saw a lot of performance testing at Spyderfest at the end of April. The RT was just a few feet behind the RS in the 1/8th mile runs. I have an '09 GS/RS and without even downshifting go from 50 to 95 MPH when passing a semi before getting to the cab. Th RT does require a higher RPM than the GW to get to get up and move. The red line is abouit 9500 rpm.

I think your wife will feel secure on the RT. I think riding the RT is like driving a sofa, very comfortable, safe, and secure.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Larry, We also had a Goldwing and the wife was the same way. She didn't feel safe on it. We got a Spyder RT last month and we both love it. As far as power its not as powerfull as the Goldwing but it has been OK for us. They take a little time to get use to but once you do you will love it.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Let me second the part about taking a little time and getting used to it. Go ahead and take a test ride on an RT but understand you might not like it. In fact you might hate it. Many long time 2 wheelers feel this way...until they give the Spyder a couple of weeks and then they fall in love with it. It's a different kind of animal - approach and judge it that way. David

·
Registered
76 Posts
Weighing in

We went from a Wing to our RTS and while I must second what has been said about power, I will not be returning to 2 wheels anytime soon. There is no comparison of a Wing to an RTS, yes, 2 different approaches to the same end...touring in comfort and with ease. Drive a Spyder, then decide, that's the only way. When you do, leave the motorcycle reflelxes with the Wing,I did and was much happier.

Patrick

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey Larry,
Get used to the idea of being the passenger! Your wife will want to drive that thing everywhere.
We have not stopped for lunch or a break once in the last year without at least one person wanting to ask questions about the Spyder. They even have asked to have us take their picture standing next to it.
Bye bye GW...

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Welcome, Larry!

In reading your post I'm unsure if you're considering a Spyder for yourself so your wife will ride with you, or a Spyder for her so she can enjoy while you are.

Either way, I agree with the folks who said its going to take a little getting used to; while you're test driving, keep in mind that a lighter touch on the steering is better. Manhandling it doesn't work, and only makes it more difficult to control. When you hit the curve, drop a hip down off the inside of the seat; helps you not feel like the centrifugal force is going to make you lose control or come flying off the bike.

Let us know what you guys decide!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts