Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decided to add handlebar risers and would love to hear your thoughts on different brands and whether you like what you bought or in hindsight if you would choose a different brand for whatever reason - cost, ease of installation, customer service, whatever.

You guys haven't steered me wrong yet, I'm hoping there's some help for this one as well!!!

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts
Since I've got an RT I'm probably the LAST person who should be saying anything here... but that hasn't stopped me yet!! :D
There's a 1" riser that mounts under your bars if you only need to raise them a little bit. Otherwise I think that you're looking at those ones that bolt on just before where your grips hook up to the center section of uyour bars... They come in different heights; I've seen 2" and 4", but there's probably more! I'm not sure about this, but you also might be able to twist those babies fore and aft to change where the bars end up... If you can get somebody to stand next to you with a ruler and see how much extra height you'd like based on where your hands fall naturally that would be a good starting point!
Oh! If you're sitting up higher on the bike with the risers you might also want a higher windshield... :eek:
(See how it starts?? :D)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, kinda like the slippery slope of buying new curtains... and all of a sudden you need new carpet, new paint, new furniture...

I'll see if I can get the hubster to help me out with the ruler. I think the windshield is plenty high. Pretty sure.

Thanks, Bob!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I originally bought my RS as stock with no riser. I later added the 1" riser block that Bob speaks of, and it made a huge difference, considering it was only 1" added. I am only 5'6", so my arms aren't real long. I was told by a salesman at a non-canam cycle shop, that once you get used to it, you can actually ride for longer periods of time if you are somewhat bent over, as opposed to riding straight upright. He claimed this is why BMW cycles are built for the rider to be bent at the waist. He claimed it was actually easier on your spine. I don't know if that is true, as I am just repeating what I was told.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sasapnts,
I had an extension called Helibars installed on my 2009 RS and am pleased with the results. The CanAm dealer installed it and the original wires/cables are long enough without adding more. This device raises the handlebar height 1 inch, but brings it back 4 inches, and this backward movement is more important than more height. This allows you to sit much more upright.
Larry

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, Lee and Larry - I appreciate the input!

Bob, another thing to think about. Thanks for the heads up!

Haven't made a decision yet. Its on the list of things to do... a list that keeps getting longer. :eek:

·
Registered
504 Posts
I have actually tried a couple of different risers from custom dynamics. Both are about 4" and work however when I put the hand brake on the solid set got in the way of the brake resivoir. The second set come back a bit more and then kick up a bit so the hand brake clears. I am told that you can go easily 41/2" without modifying the cables but more than that you will need new cables etc. When I was looking I found some that went 7 and even 9" if I remember right but I didnt want to go through the hassle. I wish we could buy RT handle bars and put them on the RS. Every time I sit on an RT I think that.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Cory Bud,
I agree about the RT handlebars, and have thought the exact thing. My Helibars leave just an inch or so more away than do the RT bars.
Like Bob Denman always says,"the RT and the RS are different " but they both have their advantages."
Maybe what I really needed was an RT RS combo:)... no, I really do like the sportier look of my red RS.
Larry

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi.. I am new to Spyder experience. I did order the helibar even though my RS came with the 2" lift. I am tall in the saddle but have shorter arms. I do not like to bend over when I ride (Old back).

I went with the Helibar because I wanted to retain the stock look. Going with another option is purely based on what look you want.
All I know is I never should have sat on the Rt.. now saving for it.

04-14-2011 I just got off the phone with Helibars Tech. HE stated that they have installed numerous conversions on Spyder RS with the 2" Riser and had plenty of wire and cable length to work with.. SO Sunday I will pull it into the barn and give it a try.. The worst I can do is make a mess.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Gruemeyer, let us know how it works out for you. If you think about it, will you take pics and make a tutorial while you're installing? I'd like to see what the different types look like during and after installation... and pictures could help others down the road!! :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
I will be happy too. If I chicken out I planned to take pix while the dealers tech does the install.. If I can get my son to clear his junk out of my barns workshop i will give it a try.. He already has filled up the rest of my 44" x64" barn with his stuff.

I had hoped my Corbon seat would have shown up.. The Smuggler Box is here.. however they sent me an RT rather than the RS seat.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh, hello husband!! That reminds me... I need to start another thread... :D

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Got the 4.5" handlebar risers in. Reading the instructions was the first time we realized we'd have to make this a permanent adjustment, as you have to cut the handlebars off to add the risers.

I'm not interested in doing that. They're going back.

On the 2" risers, is that a cut-the-bar addition as well, or is it something that can be removed if necessary and the handlebars set back to stock?

·
Registered
504 Posts
I had actually ordered my risers before picking up my Spyder so the day I brought it home I had the risers. This was a Friday and after cutting one side off my pipe cutter fell apart and it was to late to get to home despot. My wife bless her heart just sighed and said this has to be a new record for you to start fiddeling with your toys. Less than an hour after getting it home.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Thanks for your input, Bob. I went and looked, and now remember why I tried to go with the other set first... the price. Oof. At least it doesn't require any cutting of the bars, though, and that's important to me.

Though its not a sore back I'm complaining of, its a strained thumb on my left hand. Every time I try to clutch, I pull the muscle on the outside of my thumb because I'm leaning forward and putting pressure on my hands more than I used to with the motorcycle. Guess its the smaller hands that's causing me trouble here. Hopefully pulling the handlebars closer to me will take the strain off of my hands.

Gruemeyer, did you get your helibar riser installed? Did you use it with the 2" riser?

1 - 20 of 57 Posts