Can-Am Spyder Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there,
I'm a new owner and just purchased a 2009 Spyder SE5. It says that the weight capacity is 440 lbs. I am a big 'n tall guy and with my weight and a passenger's weight we would be around 500 lbs. If we both went for a ride on it, does anyone know if it would break the suspension or anything? We really want to take it out on a 15 mile (one way) trip on some back highways (55 mph). But I wanted to get input from more Spyder-knowledgable owners before we do, though.

Many Thanks in Advance!!

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
IMHO the Spyder RS is ABSOLUTELY NOT SAFE over gross without modifications in the suspension and likely unsafe even at lighter loads for evasive manuevers. This is especially true if the heavier rider is the passenger. We have personal expereince at 548 lbs on a 2010 Spyder RS SE5. Even at the highest settings the suspension is inadequate to prevent wheel lifting in turns and the rear tire will come up full travel. The stability control is easily defeated at these loadings and down right white knuckle stuff. The wondering and skittishness at freeway speeds make it a trying and tiring ride constantly focusing on preventing wondering and swaying. We deleted our sub-fender and installed the license relocator mod with the license plate under the tail. Even at the highest rear setting, at the first railroad tracks we bottomed the tire right up to the license bracket and sucked the whole license plate up into a roll. At the same time the belt went so taunt that it sounded like a rifle shot. I'm glad we were running the Smooth Spyder tensioner or we likely would have broken the belt. My first call after returning home was to order the 2011 RT shocks and springs and plan to install them with the upgraded anti-sway bar next week. We plan to ride two up with Corbin Fleetliner bags and trunk. Will let everyone know how it goes. Very possible we may have to move up the the aftermarket air suspension. Don't forget tire pressures too! For the stock tires at this weight run at least 30 in the rear and mid-20's on the fronts. Stiffer sidewall tires would likely make a huge improvement as well and will be the next option once these are worn.
We are confident the bike is capable of higher gross weights as in smooth air with smooth straight roads she settles in and rides like a luxury sedan at 90-100 mph and solid right up to 120 mph. We have a lot of high speed experience with this bike. After break in, averaged 90 mph for the first 1000 miles. The Spyder gobbles up the miles in comfort. Road Nashville to Florida (800 miles) in a single day with little more than sore hands more from a anxiety grip on the bars concerned with getting a ticket than lack of comfort on bike. Did get pulled over at 104 in a 60 by Georgia's finest, but after talking with him for half an hour about the Spyder he let me off with a warning ... ok, this was more due to being a combat disabled vet (Iraq) and the cop a combat vet (Iraq)!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts