Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2019 RT Limited. After having it 3 months, the glovebox won’t latch. Can’t see how to fix it. Anyone else ever have this problem?

·
Super Moderator
1,020 Posts
Make sure there are no obstructions......and then take it in for warranty service.
This is not a commonly reported problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My wife’s 2018 RT Limited had the same issue. It would not stay latched unless you locked the steering. I fiddled with it for a bit, then took it to dealer as warranty item. Talked to mechanic who said he couldn’t see anything mechanically wrong with it, and ended up lubing it with some white grease. It latches about 95% of the time now, sometimes takes a few tries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
59 Posts
The latch is very sensitive. A gentle push will get a slight click and a harder push will only cause it to open again. Not much we can do about this. So far I've not seen any answers.

·
Registered
18 Posts
We also have a 2018 RT Limited. No problems so far with the glovebox latch. This should be very easy for your dealer to repair under warranty. I also agree with a previous member that very little pressure should be required to latch it.

Good luck with your beautiful machine!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got a 2012 with a broken latch. I got a used one from ebay ( new is 40) for 20 bucks, and it was broken also (got credited, and still kept it, so I took it apart. I'm no engineer, but this design sucks!

I took it apart, and there is a stupid little piece inside that rotates to lock it when the latch closes. There are 2 springs inside, but to "fix" it you can just bend the catch back closed. The catch part was bent upward as if to indicate that someone pried it open when it was locked with handlebars. I simply grabbed a pair of pliers and squeezed it back to where it was. It works fine.

I'm still getting a new one, though.
if yours doesn't latch, then try this... open the cover, and put a small screwdriver or such in the rear part of the latch. This will keep it from rotating back down whilst you bend the tab down.
when you bend it back, you will make the opening a perfect oval...Which it is not now, if it won't latch.

When the latch gets pried open, the front part of the tab prevents the tab from rotating forward enough to rotate a stupid little piece inside the latch to lock it. Squeeze the latch back together with your pliers on the top of the latch, and on your little screwdriver, and go slowly, until you can push it down with your finger, and them push it down again, a little more, and it will spring back up. What the hell....try it. you can't break it any more than it is.

·
Super Moderator
1,020 Posts
Thanks for posting the information.

It is much easier to read if you format it just a little bit.......like the change I made.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts