Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all- Today I left a deposit on a 2017 Spyder RT - 6 speed manual. I've been riding since 1997 and have all sorts of bikes but I'm finding my current ride very heavy. I've also dropped it once and there's no way I can pick it up.

I found the Spyder in SC- a gent had it listed for $16,800 but then had that crossed out and lowered to $12,000. I rode down from North Carolina and I'm going back for it on Saturday. It has just over 2000 miles on it. He said he can't ride any longer due to back issues.

He let me take it all over his neighborhood on a test ride. I found it different to ride but fun just the same. Finding reverse was a trick but I managed.

I'm hoping to get some much needed education on this forum. Thanks so much for the add.

·
Super Moderator
1,199 Posts
I REALLY hope that you aren't going to ride it back home......ESPECIALLY not on a freeway/interstate.
The geometry and feel are ENTIRELY different and your first few rides, at least, should NOT be out on the highway.

It has taken me a LONG time to "unlearn" what my body had learned from 50 years on 2 wheels.
The first couple of weeks, I swore that it was trying to kill me. :oops:

·
Registered
64 Posts
I take a demo ride tomorrow and this thread is putting a bit of fear in me. I love my Goldwing, but I am just getting too old to handle a 920 pound bike. I tipped over in my garage and even with my wife's help had real trouble getting it up again so I decided its time for a change. I haven't totally made up my mind between 3 wheels (a Can Am of one model or another) or just getting a lighter bike (Triumph T120). But I know someday I will need to go to 3, or 4 wheels so thought maybe this is the time to do it. From everything I am reading on this forum I think the biggest thing is to not get totally discouraged on the demo ride, but to try to assume that over a reasonable time I will learn to appreciate and love 3 wheeling. Or not.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just take your time and ride your ride. I agree you should stay off the Highway until you get a better feel for the bike. I also just bought one and it is a big difference from two wheels. Riding ATV’s all my life I think helped me progress a little faster but I’m always learning something new on this bike. I dont know if we are suppose to promote people or shows on here but I watch Coach Bob 3 on YouTube. A lot of good advice.

·
Registered
129 Posts
My 1st experience w/2012 Ltd was driving it to my home in 40° with strong winds. Consequently, I had a "death grip" on handles and I pretty much rode it that way for the next 1500 miles. I was ready to sell it. Then finally, I relaxed the grip and let the Spyder do it's thing. I rode it for 65k miles then traded up to a 2016 Limited.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had a Triumph Trophy 1215 TTSE. With my arthritis it was getting too much for me two up, with luggage. I have a T120 but that is not so much fun two up after an hour or so for my wife. So I got a 2021 RT LTD. After 45 years or more on 2 wheels I really had to unlearn my entire riding technique. The biggest help was taking the Can Am rider course. It was at the community college, but was only $99 for two days rather than the usual course cost of $250. After that, I really began to get into the feel of it and now it's second nature to ride. I've not had the handling issues of some and mine seems to be set up with the later version of the OEM tires and a little toe in on the alignment setup. At one time I laughed at the old guys on their trikes and such, but now I'm one of the old guys myself, it has enabled us to keep touring despite age related mobility issues. I hope you like yours as much as I'm enjoying mine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts