Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m a new Can Am Owner and rider. It’s a 2013 STS SE5. When in first gear or reverse the transmission seems to grind gears on initial acceleration. Is this normal or is an adjustment needed

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have two 2012 Limited RTs, one with 30’000km the other 34,000km. Neither one of mine grind gears. I am going to say this is not normal. Have you checked your oil level recently? Definitely something you may want to have checked out.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I’m a new Can Am Owner and rider. It’s a 2013 STS SE5. When in first gear or reverse the transmission seems to grind gears on initial acceleration. Is this normal or is an adjustment needed
You will hear a "clunk" when the transmission engages the gear. This is normal. It happens with both engines. Other than that, the transmission should make no noise at all. That is not normal. First thing, check the oil level. The 990 engine is not known to burn or use oil, it is possible that it's low (especially if not changed in a while). There are small oil filters that need to be changed from time to time. They may be clogged.

·
Registered
1 Posts
1st gear engagement.

2018 F3 S 7500ks I have a very heavy clunk when engaging 1st gear The dealer said that it is not something to worry about.and is normal All other gear changes up are good provided the change up is above 3000rpm

·
Registered
3 Posts
This thread is a little old, but I am experiencing a clunk when gearing into reverse, as well as when downshifting with paddle, but not when upshifting.
The Spyder is a 2013 STS Limited that I am looking to buy from an individual. She has owned 5 Spiders thru the years and says that is normal with all of them.
The STS is absolutely showroom clean with less than 5000 miles. It has been laser aligned. She wants $11k for it.
It's Electric Circuit Yellow.
Also, I thought this came standard with TomTom GPS?
Can anybody offer any suggestions concerning this potential purchase?

·
Super Moderator
1,199 Posts
This thread is a little old, but I am experiencing a clunk when gearing into reverse, as well as when downshifting with paddle, but not when upshifting.
The clunk is normal, for almost ALL motorcycle transmissions. Some are louder than others.
If you let the computer do the downshift, there likely will be little to no clunk and with some practice you can do that too.
But it really does NOT indicate a problem. As the engine warms up, it should not be quite as loud......but will still be there.

The STS did not come with a GPS. That was only with the "limited" models and maybe only the RTs. Garmin.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The clunk is normal, for almost ALL motorcycle transmissions. Some are louder than others.
If you let the computer do the downshift, there likely will be little to no clunk and with some practice you can do that too.
But it really does NOT indicate a problem. As the engine warms up, it should not be quite as loud......but will still be there.

The STS did not come with a GPS. That was only with the "limited" models and maybe only the RTs. Garmin.
Thanks so much! Seem like a reasonable deal to you?

·
Super Moderator
1,199 Posts
Thanks so much! Seem like a reasonable deal to you?
Which engine is that.....990 or 1330 (2 cylinder or 3) ?

Price seems reasonable.....IF there is nothing wrong with it.
Repairs on these machines tend to be expensive......even "little" stuff.

If it still has the original tires on it, you do NOT want to be riding on 9 year old tires, no matter how good they may look.
Then, at that age it should have had coolant and brake fluid service too.
If not, that should be figured into the price.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts