Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if I'm doing this wrong. I'm also new to the Spyders. First, my grandma told me it won't shift gears. My first time sitting on it, I start it and shift it into 1st gear. I could tell right off it shifted rough, so I didn't try to drive it. I finally found the engine oil, which was low enough, that it would not register on the dipstick. Is there a trans, or a gear box that I should check?? After researching online, I could tell that each model could be fairly different. Also, the engine oil compartment was under a small piece of plastic that popped off about where my left knee was. I do work on vehicles somewhat, but I'm new to this Spyder. Any help is appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
1,197 Posts
Welcome. The clunk when shifting cold is normal.

Telling us the year and model might help get better answers.
Like most motorcycles, the Spyders have a "wet" clutch that shares oil with the engine.
Because of that you can NOT use "plain" car oil in it.

The engines are of a "dry sump" design and the oil needs to be checked when HOT.....not cold.
It is fairly easy to overfill but nothing on the stick probably means that it needs at least a quart....of MOTORCYCLE oil.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is a 2013 roadster spyder rt if that helps. She went and bought oil from can am spyder shop. I will be changing oil and oil filter tomorrow. I will also drive it tomorrow. Hopefully that fixes her problems. She says last time she rode it, it was stuck in 2nd gear. So I'm assuming her spyder has a limp mode. Will let you know more tomorrow. Thanks alot

·
Super Moderator
1,197 Posts
She says last time she rode it, it was stuck in 2nd gear. So I'm assuming her spyder has a limp mode. Will let you know more tomorrow. Thanks alot
The "limp home mode" usually doesn't apply for transmission problems.
Is this an automatic or manual transmission ?
From what you have said, I assume automatic and being "stuck" in 2nd gear is a common symptom of low oil, I think.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts