Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
As I stated, my first fill up I was getting 38 mpg. I've filled up a few times since then and seem to be averaging 34 mpg, using premium. I would like better mpg, of course, but I didn't buy the Spyder with the idea of saving on gas costs. I can always go out on my 149cc scooter if I want to, which gets anywhere from 95 to 110 mpg depending on how gentle I am with the throttle.

·
Banned
17 Posts
Don't be afraid to ask questions even if you think they are dumb, which yours is not a dumb question. BRP states that you can get around 250 miles and 35mpg on the newer spyders. 2018 and ups have a 7.1 gallon tank. My Spyder F3 gets roughly 32-34 mpg just normal driving and in ECO mode. Newer Spyders have the same size tank and engine, only the F3 no "S" has 10 HP less. It is best to use premium gas also.
I'm good at asking questions, not so good at remembering the answers sometimes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm good at asking questions, not so good at remembering the answers sometimes.
Same here(y). The 2021 manual (page 172 for F3) will state that the minimum you can use is 87 octane, but they recommend 91. The 91 will be better for the long haul of owning the bike.

You said you don't have one yet, depending on where you live can am is doing test rides at select dealerships. They let you ride the new lineup of spyders and take you out for a short ride.

There are also 3 wheel courses you can take (roughly 99 dollars).
Learn to ride a 3-wheel motorcycle – Can-Am On-Road

I recommend you take the course if you are new to riding. It helps with getting a 3 wheel DL classification as well.

·
Banned
17 Posts
Same here(y). The 2021 manual (page 172 for F3) will state that the minimum you can use is 87 octane, but they recommend 91. The 91 will be better for the long haul of owning the bike.

You said you don't have one yet, depending on where you live can am is doing test rides at select dealerships. They let you ride the new lineup of spyders and take you out for a short ride.

I recommend you take the course if you are new to riding. It helps with getting a 3 wheel DL

I recommend you take the course if you are new to riding. It helps with getting a 3 wheel DL classification as well.
I tried to fill out the request form but it wouldnt let me pick a date. Been riding 52 years but never a trike just motorcycles of all flavors including a sidecar.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Same thing happened to me so I called them. They said that means the tour ended in the state you are looking at.
You won't be disappointed in the spyder. It is a little different than the 2 wheel, and WAY safer than the old 3 wheels ( and to me it looks way better than the harley type trikes). At first the shifting and brake is odd, also the way that the bike pushes you on turns. Other than that they are a lot of fun.

·
Banned
17 Posts
My wife and I used to tour all over the eastern part of the country on, Kawasaki's, Victory's, Guzzi's and Harleys but i've been touring solo over the last 10 years on a Victory and Kawasaki. I'm ready to get her on a Spyder with me and do some 2 and 3 week trips.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My wife and I used to tour all over the eastern part of the country on, Kawasaki's, Victory's, Guzzi's and Harleys but i've been touring solo over the last 10 years on a Victory and Kawasaki. I'm ready to get her on a Spyder with me and do some 2 and 3 week trips.
That is awesome to hear, my wife and I love riding together. You don't feel the passenger much on a spyder unless they bounce straight up and down.
I really recommend looking at the RT models since you said that. They are more expensive, but if that is your plans for riding, you will make her happy having all the extras that 5hey offer. They are better than the f3's in my opinion for touring.

·
Super Moderator
1,031 Posts
I'm ready to get her on a Spyder with me and do some 2 and 3 week trips.
Good plan.
But don't plan any trips too close to the time of purchase.
You NEED some seat time to get used to the different ride before you head out.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My wife says that the RT is more comfortable, and stable than was the Goldwing we just traded in. Perfect for touring.

·
Super Moderator
1,031 Posts
My wife says that the RT is more comfortable, and stable than was the Goldwing we just traded in. Perfect for touring.
No offense intended......really.......but that probably says more about the skill of the operator than the quality of the machine.
:oops:
:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
52 Posts
I don't see where skill really comes into play. I found that riding the Goldwing was not a problem, despite the weight. But in the event of a tipover, I no longer felt confident that I could get it back up, especially if the tipover had occurred on a road with any degree of camber. That uncertainty made my wife more hesitant to ride with me, and riding two up has been important to me for most of the years that I have owned motorcycles. I considered a smaller, lighter bike than the Goldwing, but my wife's comfort was a real consideration and at her age she had no desire to sit perched on a small pillion seat behind me. The Spyder addressed all of my concerns and kept me able to ride. Steering rather than leaning through curves is a different feeling, but going down the road for the most part is identical on the Spyder to what it was on the Wing. And coming to a stop without the need to put a foot down to keep the bike up is a really nice luxury.

·
Super Moderator
1,031 Posts
I don't see where skill really comes into play.
OK. No point in continuing the discussion then........but it really DOES come into play when stability is the question.
Glad things are working out for you.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts