Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a used 2010 Spyder RS-S SE5 it had a full tank of gas, filled it up today and it looks like I'm only getting 25 miles to the gal. Is this typical?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would guess that is pretty typical. I have a 2020 F3 Limited and I have just under 2k miles in it and my average over that time is 26 MPG on Premium fuel

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Polaris Rzr EPS 570 SXS
11 Posts
Spent 4 days beating the heat here in Arizona by camping up at Big Lake {east of Greer} at 9,200'. We rode the Devil's Highway several times and my 2017 RT with my bride on the back got us 41 mpg. I wasn't riding it hard, lots of twisties, but have always gotten better mileage at the higher elevations. At home {at 5,000'} I consistently get 36 - 38. YMMV.

:cool:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a 2021 RT and after 4. Fills, still getting over 37 mpg on premium gas (only primun should be used due to high compression ratio of 12.2/1). Gentle riding two up and in the eco mode.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My owners manual says regular unleaded but with my Honda 750 I used premium, I'm wondering if I should switch to premium on my 2010 spyder rss

·
Registered
52 Posts
I haven't yet filled up, having just picked up my 2021 RT. But I was a bit annoyed to read in the Owners Manual that the Spyder requires premium gas. This is something the dealer never mentioned, but I guess its on me. I would still have made the purchase nonetheless. I'll post when I know my mpg.

·
Super Moderator
1,031 Posts
My owners manual says regular unleaded but with my Honda 750 I used premium, I'm wondering if I should switch to premium on my 2010 spyder rss
NO.
And those telling you about their gas mileage on a 2014 or newer aren't helping any........since they likely have a different engine that gets better mileage.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm not claiming any great knowledge about engines and what is good or bad for them, but if the manufacturer recommends something I am inclined to take their word for it that I should do it for the good of the vehicle and its safety, handling, longevity or whatever.

·
Super Moderator
1,031 Posts
I'm not claiming any great knowledge about engines and what is good or bad for them, but if the manufacturer recommends something I am inclined to take their word for it that I should do it for the good of the vehicle and its safety, handling, longevity or whatever.
Which is a good summary of what most people think.
But there are a few who think that saving a few pennies is more important.
Penny wise and pound foolish, as the English say.
(y)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Today was my second fill up. Using Eco mode I am getting 38 mpg. At $3.99 a gallon for Premium (95 octane at Mobil) its a bit more costly to go for a ride than it was on other motorcycles. But I didn't buy the Spyder to save a few bucks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
It is best to use premium gas, because of it being a small engine and premium gives you better combustion and prevents issues that lower premium gas causes. Also the newer Spyders have a 1330 cc engine and your 2010 I believe has a 998cc.this is why your mpg is not around 35 mpg like the newer ones. With a pedal commander on eco and a k&n filter installed I can occasionally get 40 mpg if I really baby the throttle.

·
Super Moderator
1,031 Posts
It is best to use premium gas, because of it being a small engine and premium gives you better combustion and prevents issues that lower premium gas causes.
I know that you are trying to be helpful here but that is wrong, wrong, WRONG.

In an engine that is not designed for it, there is ABSOLUTELY NO ADVANTAGE to using higher octane premium fuel.
It is just a waste of money.
In some cases, it actually gives worse "combustion".

·
Banned
17 Posts
I'm new to the whole Spyder thing so I'm gonna have some dumb questions. First off, how many miles per tank full are you all getting? What size tank do the Spyders have? Do all models of Spyders have the same size fuel tank? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
1,031 Posts
No, no and no.
Do you have a Spyder yet ?
The answers are dependent on what MODEL you are talking about.

IIRC, my first one with the 990 engine had me looking for gas shortly after 100 miles.
My 1330 can go near to 200 if cruising easy.

·
Banned
17 Posts
No, no and no.
Do you have a Spyder yet ?
The answers are dependent on what MODEL you are talking about.

IIRC, my first one with the 990 engine had me looking for gas shortly after 100 miles.
My 1330 can go near to 200 if cruising easy.
No don't have one yet just doing some research. I want one just to travel on with the wife.

·
Super Moderator
1,031 Posts
No don't have one yet just doing some research. I want one just to travel on with the wife.
Most owners would recommend a '14 or newer with the 1330 3-cylinder engine.
Better mileage, more power and generally uses little or no oil between changes.
And I personally recommend the semi-automatic transmission.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm new to the whole Spyder thing so I'm gonna have some dumb questions. First off, how many miles per tank full are you all getting? What size tank do the Spyders have? Do all models of Spyders have the same size fuel tank? Thanks!
Don't be afraid to ask questions even if you think they are dumb, which yours is not a dumb question. BRP states that you can get around 250 miles and 35mpg on the newer spyders. 2018 and ups have a 7.1 gallon tank. My Spyder F3 gets roughly 32-34 mpg just normal driving and in ECO mode. Newer Spyders have the same size tank and engine, only the F3 no "S" has 10 HP less. It is best to use premium gas also.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts