Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2013 Spyder RTS SE5 a couple weeks ago and just got around to changing the oil and air filter this weekend. Oddly enough, when I popped open the air filter housing, I immediately smelled gasoline. Once I wrenched the air filter out and gave it a sniff... gas. This seems odd. I did a little research and and everything I found related to issues with carburetors, and nothing concerning fuel injected engines. Am I looking at a possible serious issue here?

Thanks,

Mike

·
Super Moderator
1,197 Posts
I just bought a 2013 Spyder RTS SE5 a couple weeks ago and just got around to changing the oil and air filter this weekend. Oddly enough, when I popped open the air filter housing, I immediately smelled gasoline. Once I wrenched the air filter out and gave it a sniff... gas. This seems odd. I did a little research and and everything I found related to issues with carburetors, and nothing concerning fuel injected engines. Am I looking at a possible serious issue here?

Thanks,

Mike
Possible but not likely.
Put in a fresh filter and ride it a couple of days to see.
If it is not saturated with fuel and just the odor, chances are good that you are OK.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Possible but not likely.
Put in a fresh filter and ride it a couple of days to see.
If it is not saturated with fuel and just the odor, chances are good that you are OK.
Thanks @Easy Rider ! That sounds good. I rode around on it yesterday. I'll probably go on a decent ride today and give it a sniff after. I stuck a new K&N in there.

·
Super Moderator
1,197 Posts
I stuck a new K&N in there.
SIGH. Another owner taken in by marketing hype.

K&N air filters let in more air and also more dust.
The change in air might make it run worse.
The poorer filtering might have long term negative effects.

As often is the case, things made for use on a vehicle designed for racing are NOT good for the street.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Thanks,

Mike
How difficult was it to get to the air filter?
looks like a lot needs to come off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts