Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member, 2020 RT Limited, 12K+ miles, south Louisiana, 70 yrs old female and I've met the nicest folks throughout my travels. I'm small and have lost the strength to ride bigger bikes so a Spyder offered the stability, comfort, and reliability I needed. Considered a Harley trike but a Spyder is much more visible.

I've recently had rear tire replaced and added a handlebar riser and I'm wondering if either of these changes could have affected my fuel gauge. Most recent fillup only registered the addition of 3 gallons and I know the gauge read just under quarter of a tank before fillup. I'm ready to make a trip through the Ozarks and on to Boulder, CO -

·
Registered
2017 Can Am F 3 Limited 6 speed
110 Posts
Hi there from New Zealand.

Just thinking can open the cap and look in, can you see the gas? A torch (flashlight) may help.
Sometimes the nozzle clicks off from a splash or something inside the tank way before its full.
If you release the pump handle and try again more gas flows.

If its full set the trip.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi there from New Zealand.

Just thinking can open the cap and look in, can you see the gas? A torch may help.
Sometimes the nozzle clicks off from a splash or something inside the tank way before its full.
If you release the pump handle and try again more gas flows.

If its full set the trip.
Thanks for your response. Let me paint a better pic.
Fuel gauge on bike just under quarter tank. Filled it up - sun prevented good visual of gas in tank -
Pump gauge registered 3.743 gallons and bike gauge noted full.
I'm going to have to check this a few times but I don't want to head out & make an unwanted discovery.

·
Registered
2017 Can Am F 3 Limited 6 speed
110 Posts
I would visually check the level. Move the bike to a shady area if you have to. A flaslight, a stick dosnt matter. Only then can you confirm the gauge is correct / or not. It would do my head in if I was suspicious and I really didn't know and spoil my ride. I dont know if you set your trip but I do every time I fill the tank. The visual check will not take any time at all. If you set the trip, if its not correct well you should know how far you can go on a tank and work with that until you can get the wires and gauge sorted. Have a sticky beak.

·
Super Moderator
'17 RT Limited
1,436 Posts
Fuel gauge on bike just under quarter tank.
Pump gauge registered 3.743 gallons and bike gauge noted full.
That might be about right......as it is almost 4 gallons.
Mine has to be near to E before it will take 6.
The gas gauges are notoriously inaccurate and tend to show empty before it really IS.......on purpose.

IF.....you are putting the nozzle all the way in until the spring hits, you can pull it back out about half way and run it slowly until it clicks off a second time OR until little droplets of fuel start spitting out the vent holes above the main fill opening.
At that point STOP because overfilling can cause expensive problems.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is too funny.
I'm thinking gauge may have righted itself - took about a 100 mile trip and still had over half tank. Good to know the gauge is deliberately off. I ride river road along the Mississippi River a lot and I've had the gauge less than the red line twice withe this issue and that was unnerving.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts