Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the site. I have a stupid question and I have the answer but I would just like some confirmation.

I have a 2009 can am rs. The manual states that it has a 6.6 gal gas tank. when I'm down to one bar and the gas light is blaring, it only takes 3.5 -4 gallons of gas. It doesn't make sense that there is an additional 2.6- 3 gallon reserve. Am I missing something. Is my gauge messed up?

Please call me stupid AFTER you answer my question.

Bob

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Welcome, Rebman!

I've got a 2008 RS, and I know from personal experience that I can go at least 16 miles from the time the last bar disappears. My first distance ride I managed to run it down that far before we found a gas station... I kept waiting for the byke to stall and to be coasting and fighting her to the side of the road. I think I put 5.5 gallons in on that fill up. I wouldn't suggest anyone else try this, gripping the seat with your butt is tiring! :D

As Bob said, its not a stupid question at all.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My wife's low lite came on and she rode about 15 miles on it and ran out of gas. Luckily she coasted into a gas station. As I remember, it too less than 6 gallons to fill it up.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Rebman, you are not stupid. It is nearly impossible to fill a tank to the capacity listed by the manufacture on any vehicle, expecially if you stop at the automatic nozzle shutoff. On the Sypder I can usually fit in another 1/2 gallon or more after the nozzle shuts off automatically.

Having said that, if a fill-up is 1 gallon short for a 20 gallon tank, that is only 5% short. If a fill-up is 1 gallon short on a 6.6 gallon tank, that is 15% short, much more noticeable.

On a side note, I never fill the tank up all the way unless I am starting a ride. The gas will expand on a hot day and flood the vapor recovery system which may drip gas onto the ground and/or make for hard engine starts. I usually give myself time to fill-up at the start of the ride.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts