Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my 2011 RT AC a week ago and am still getting used to it. However, I plan on riding it from St Louis to Melbourne FL in a few days. My question is how accurate is the fuel gage on this beast? Mine tends to jump all over the place while riding and I haven't ridden it enough to get an idea on how accurate it is or how many miles I can get to a tank of fuel. Any information?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Usually 2 up

I start looking at 150 miles or so, that is cruising at between 65-70 depending on the maniacs around me. We did a Charleston SC to Moberly MO run last year and eked out 175 on one tank through the Smokies. (lots of gravity assist) This is running about 18 psi on the fronts and 28 on the rear tire. And I became rather frustrated with my fuel gauge so I removed it and used some covers from a non RTS to plug the hole. Probably put a voltmeter there eventually. Now back to the thread.

Patrick

·
Registered
284 Posts
Concur with the 125ish range. I start to get antsy at 125, especially when I'm scooting around the desert areas around Vegas.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Just an FYI

A lot of poeple don't like how the dash fuel gauge jumps around. If you unplug the BOTH dash gauges they will be replaced by gauges on the screen. The screen fuel gauge is much more stable that the dash gauge.

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
I've heard if you unplug the needle gauge the digital gauge appears on the screen. Is the digital gauge any more accurate?

I'd love to be able to make a connector that tricks the Spyder into thinking displaying the digital AND the needle gauge.

·
Registered
306 Posts
You have to disconnect both dash gauges before the screen gauges show up. The screen gauge is more stable which is the main reason to disconnect the other gauges. Because of the shape of the gas tank no meter is going to be scaled very accurately.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yes, the gauge(s) on the screen are more stable. I unplugged both and put them in my Can-Am spare parts box, pending the day I ever have it back at the dealer again. Then, I might have them replaced.

Patrick

·
Super Moderators
2,781 Posts
dang I was hoping to just unplug my gas gauge and put in a radar detector in the hole, but if you need both gauges unpluged to get the digital to work then double fooey

·
Registered
24 Posts
RT_S Has a fuel gauge

My RT-S Has a fuel Gauge? I didn't notice.. I just wait for the little fuel:D pump to light up. or at 150 miles

·
Super Moderators
2,781 Posts
sheesh you guys must get real crappy mileage

I ride with my wife 95% of the time and we still get 220+k's per tank

that's around 120 miles + and still have not hit the red line yet or even had a flicker of a light come on..

I don't even know where to look for it on the cluster

·
Registered
306 Posts
I llok for gas at 120 miles on my '09 GS. Light light comes on at about 130 and I have gone 150 riding single. With my wife on the back I have gone 150 until the light and 180 before filling. I think my right hand moves a little slower when she is on the back. :D

·
Super Moderators
2,781 Posts
not sure if they are actually for sale yet

I would have to see and try one though because they moved the driver back 2" so my passenger is gonna get squished

I am getting a DayLong seat this April

1 - 17 of 17 Posts