Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my first can am because my back won't let my handle two wheels really . I bought a 2010 can am spyder rts sm5. My question is what is the best rpms to shift. On my first ride I only got 120 miles per tank of gas, is there any way to improve that?

·
Super Moderator
1,197 Posts
Probably not much.

You should be able to shift about 1000 to 1500 rpms above idle.....if you really want to .
But that won't be much fun. I think that 3000 and above is more common.
Those 990 twins weren't known for good gas mileage.

Also keep an eye on your oil level. The twins almost all used some.
And be sure you know the right procedure to check the oil. It is somewhat "different".

Oh, and resist the temptation to try and cram more gas into the tank than it was designed to hold.
That can cause problems.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just bought my first can am because my back won't let my handle two wheels really . I bought a 2010 can am spyder rts sm5. My question is what is the best rpms to shift. On my first ride I only got 120 miles per tank of gas, is there any way to improve that?
3k 1st gear 4-5k after. Used to get only 125-130 on my ‘10 rye sm5. 1330 engine much better mpg.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Fuel gauges are horribly inaccurate. My fuel light comes on when I still have plenty of fuel in the tank. Hardly ever takes more than 4 gallons to fill. 2013 RT, I get about 30mpg.

·
Registered
2017 RT
4 Posts
Best thing to do is to ride it and experiment with shifting. Engine sound is your best friend. I drive a tractor trailer and don't ever look at the rpms and same with my Spyder. My 2013 was looking for a gas station @ 140 miles, my 2017 @170 miles & only end up putting 5 gals in. I also unplug my 2 gauges and use the gauges on the instrument cluster

·
Registered
4 Posts
Best thing to do is to ride it and experiment with shifting. Engine sound is your best friend. I drive a tractor trailer and don't ever look at the rpms and same with my Spyder. My 2013 was looking for a gas station @ 140 miles, my 2017 @170 miles & only end up putting 5 gals in. I also unplug my 2 gauges and use the gauges on the instrument cluster
@VOODOO511 that's a great idea! Did you put something in place of those analog gauges, or just unplugged them? I just bought mine and read in the manual that the fuel level and temp show up on the main panel if they're not being used. I didn't think about just unplugging them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts