Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Anybody ever use the Loctite 648? I had slight red dust, but all splines look good. I have a trip to Tennessee in mid September, and I know the dealer won't have the new sprocket by then, so I ordered some 648. Just not sure how much I need to use. Hate to use too much and have a bitch of a time changing when new ones are available. Ideas?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Regarding sprocket recall: was there a different sprocket used on RTs during the recall years than 2020 the year of my RTL. I recently had problem picking up construction zone gravel which lead to my belt breaking and a new sprocket is needed for the repair. I am told there is no availablity of the part.
Any info appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
'17 RT Limited
1,665 Posts
I am told there is no availablity of the part.
Any info appreciated!
Some dealers seem to be able to find the "old" sprockets "new" at this time.
Others won't bother trying.
The most recent model years might not be included in the recall.......yet......even though they had the same part.
Sad situation but you are not the only one.

·
Registered
2017 RTL
75 Posts
I recently had problem picking up construction zone gravel which lead to my belt breaking and a new sprocket is needed for the repair. I am told there is no availablity of the part.
Any info appreciated!
Sounds like you need the missing belt guard from Spyderpops. Will help keep the chat and gravel out of your belt.
It was one of the first upgrades I installed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has ANYBODY, on this forum, had the failure??
Does anyone know anything about this topic? I just got the recall notice. It only says 'premature failure', but says nothing about when this might occur. Should I expect failure at 10K/20K/30K/40K miles. I currently have only about 15K miles on my Spyder.
Does anyone know anything about this topic? I just got the recall notice. It only says 'premature failure', but says nothing about when this might occur. Should I expect failure at 10K/20K/30K/40K miles. I currently have only about 15K miles on my Spyder.
I just got off the phone with BRP about 2 hours ago. She (recall) rep said “NOT to drive it.” Do not pasa Go, go directly to dealer (or tow) and get a ride home. BRP recall notice says they implemented new part on 4/15/2019. That means they’ve known about it long enough before that to re-engineer, get it into production and then the Canadian
Go to Spyderlovers.com Sign up and search the site for front wheel sprocket and another for red dust. There is a ton of information on this issue which is what prompted BRP to take action.
I just got off the phone with BRP about 2 hours ago. She (recall) rep said “NOT to drive it.” Go directly to dealer (or tow) and get a ride home. BRP recall notice says they implemented new part on 4/15/2019. That means they’ve known about it long enough before that to re-engineer, get it into production and then the Tranport Canada met with Brp and then the recall was issued.

You MUST read this.

file:///var/tmp/com.apple.messages/com.apple.MobileSMS/LinkedFiles/18F0FC32-A371-4C6A-BDD9-F806217E0F84/FILE_9616.pdf

·
Registered
1 Posts
I only have about 15 K miles on the bike. I intend to get the repair from the dealer ASAP. I just wondered if anyone had any feeling for what 'premature' meant. Are they intended to last 100 k miles...and they are only lasting 50 k miles???.
It appears as though this group really has no idea....but..
I do wonder....how many people in the group have had a failure??? and if so...at what mileage.?.?
We have a 2015 RT limited with 23000 miles Dealership put on intern repair and after 200 miles started making the same God-awful sound when you decelerate sounds like the Front sprockets gonna explode and it's so loud it's embarrassing. But dealership says it's still safe after intern repair but the way it sounds I highly doubt it.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts