Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know anything about this topic? I just got the recall notice. It only says 'premature failure', but says nothing about when this might occur. Should I expect failure at 10K/20K/30K/40K miles. I currently have only about 15K miles on my Spyder.

·
Premium Member
2020 F3Ltd
12 Posts
Does anyone know anything about this topic? I just got the recall notice. It only says 'premature failure', but says nothing about when this might occur. Should I expect failure at 10K/20K/30K/40K miles. I currently have only about 15K miles on my Spyder.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Here is what I found on the BRP website about the recall (which is a posting of the Recall Notice that OP likely received):

What is the potential problem?
The front sprocket may be defective and may be subject to premature wear. Over time, the vehicle could lose propulsion. If the vehicle loses propulsion, there is an increased risk of a crash.

Which models are involved?
Certain 2015 to 2019 Can-Am® Spyder RT and F3 vehicles

What should you do?
  • BRP will repair your vehicle at no cost.
  • BRP will be offering an interim repair procedure. The procedure will act as a temporary solution until the front sprocket replacement is available as all front sprockets will need to be replaced. The procedure will be available at your dealer starting on June 30 and should take less than an hour.
  • The parts for the final repair will gradually be available in a very limited quantity over an extended period, due to supply chain limitations. The replacement procedure should be available at your dealer starting on August 30 and should take less than an hour.
  • The wear occurs over usage time and varies between vehicles. In case of a loss of propulsion, you will maintain steering and braking functions, but you will not be able to maintain your speed. If you continue to ride your vehicle before the sprocket replacement, we recommend that you go to your dealer for the interim repair procedure.

For more information, see: Front Sprocket Wear - Potential Loss of Propulsion

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here is what I found on the BRP website about the recall (which is a posting of the Recall Notice that OP likely received):

What is the potential problem?
The front sprocket may be defective and may be subject to premature wear. Over time, the vehicle could lose propulsion. If the vehicle loses propulsion, there is an increased risk of a crash.

Which models are involved?
Certain 2015 to 2019 Can-Am® Spyder RT and F3 vehicles

What should you do?
  • BRP will repair your vehicle at no cost.
  • BRP will be offering an interim repair procedure. The procedure will act as a temporary solution until the front sprocket replacement is available as all front sprockets will need to be replaced. The procedure will be available at your dealer starting on June 30 and should take less than an hour.
  • The parts for the final repair will gradually be available in a very limited quantity over an extended period, due to supply chain limitations. The replacement procedure should be available at your dealer starting on August 30 and should take less than an hour.
  • The wear occurs over usage time and varies between vehicles. In case of a loss of propulsion, you will maintain steering and braking functions, but you will not be able to maintain your speed. If you continue to ride your vehicle before the sprocket replacement, we recommend that you go to your dealer for the interim repair procedure.

For more information, see: Front Sprocket Wear - Potential Loss of Propulsion
yes...that is the notice I received from BRP. The thing is....it does not say anything about mileage...the question is....what is 'premature'...Should I expect the problem at 20k/30/40k miles....????

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not to sound flippant, but this may be one of those true "your mileage may vary" cases. From a potential liability standpoint standpoint, BRP would smartly refrain from providing any mileage estimates on the sprockets. Every bike and rider will be different and wear and tear on a bike will vary. A prudent owner should get their bike in for inspection and repair as soon as possible. Why wait??

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I only have about 15 K miles on the bike. I intend to get the repair from the dealer ASAP. I just wondered if anyone had any feeling for what 'premature' meant. Are they intended to last 100 k miles...and they are only lasting 50 k miles???.
It appears as though this group really has no idea....but..
I do wonder....how many people in the group have had a failure??? and if so...at what mileage.?.?

·
Super Moderator
'17 RT Limited
1,485 Posts
yes...that is the notice I received from BRP. The thing is....it does not say anything about mileage...the question is....what is 'premature'...Should I expect the problem at 20k/30/40k miles....????
You are asking a question that NOBODY can answer because it depends partly on how it is ridden, exactly how it was assembled and whether or not it was "re-torqued" during a previous service.

You should "expect" it to fail tomorrow.
And you should inspect it today.

Don't like that answer ? Then make up your own.

·
Registered
2017 Can Am F 3 Limited 6 speed
127 Posts
I did ring my closest dealer here in New Zealand. Yes they were aware but had no bits yet, and they will update my details in the BRP owners register.

Till then I will just wait out.

Want to know more......

Pick up ya phone and give them a call, like I did.

·
Registered
2014 RT Ltd SE6
35 Posts
I only have about 15 K miles on the bike. I intend to get the repair from the dealer ASAP. I just wondered if anyone had any feeling for what 'premature' meant. Are they intended to last 100 k miles...and they are only lasting 50 k miles???.
It appears as though this group really has no idea....but..
I do wonder....how many people in the group have had a failure??? and if so...at what mileage.?.?
Go to Spyderlovers.com Sign up and search the site for front wheel sprocket and another for red dust. There is a ton of information on this issue which is what prompted BRP to take action.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Has ANYBODY, on this forum, had the failure??

Well obviously some have in the world. Thats why they are doing the recall. Sudden loss of power. .... If they did nothing can you imagine the Lawsuits that would follow if someone got hurt, and they were aware and did nothing.

I reckon you should move on from nitpicking, how many and so forth.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Has ANYBODY, on this forum, had the failure??

Well obviously some have in the world. Thats why they are doing the recall. Sudden loss of power. .... If they did nothing can you imagine the Lawsuits that would follow if someone got hurt, and they were aware and did nothing.

I reckon you should move on from nitpicking, how many and so forth.
Gee.....sorry I asked....I thought someone might have some helpful information......I guess I came to the wrong place

·
Registered
127 Posts
Gee.....sorry I asked....I thought someone might have some helpful information......I guess I came to the wrong place

Yeah nah.
You have been informed what.
You have been informed why.
You have been informed how.
You have been informed how to contact BRP.
You have been informed which vehicles are involved.

All helpful information in my book.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I went to my dealer (Kennewick, WA) and they said that BRP would be sending parts out as soon as they could. The dealer would then call me to come get the part replaced. Also, depending on how you ride your bike will depend on how fast your sprocket wears. If you ride like me, it should have fallen off by now, but it hasn't so. Also, you will lose forward momentum but not crash because of it, but the hassle then is getting it towed to your house. They said I should notice the slowing of forward speed before it fails so if yours starts slowing down unexpectedly you should probably park it till the dealer calls you.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just replaced mine at end of april. While riding to work at 5 a.m. i thought it slipped into neutral. Lost all power. I got towed in and was charged for the repair and tow. Seems the sprocket oxidizes, no rust. I live in arizona. The fix is temporary with further repairs in late August. One fellow on line laughed saying motorcycles are inherently dangerous. The day prior i was on the expresswa! Cannot imagine what would have happened then with my granddaughter on the back. 24,000 miles and no abuse. I am 76 and been riding since the 60’s. Extremely Dangerous!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts