Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2015 canam spyder rt se6. 25,000 front sprocket failure. Driving to work. 40 mph when sprocket gave out. I live in arizona so no rust and never abused. Very dangerous ! Day prior i was on expressway average speed 75 mph. There should be a recall on these dangerous machines!

·
Super Moderator
'17 RT Limited
1,482 Posts
There should be a recall on these dangerous machines!
Have you expressed that to CanAm/BRP ?
Have you contacted a product liability lawyer ??

The red dust that shows up is not "rust" in the normal sense of the word.

And there are all kinds of things that might cause a vehicle to suddenly lose power while going down the road.
THAT is why it is important to keep a safe distance BEHIND you as well as in front.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

And there are all kinds of things that might cause a vehicle to suddenly lose power while going down the road.
THAT is why it is important to keep a safe distance BEHIND you as well as in front.
I live in Arizona. The machine has never been abused or ridden in the rain. I have been riding since 1962. I was riding the day before on an expressway outside phoenix. The following morning on my way to work, the machine just lost all power. I was lucky to be riding on a city street. The point of the post was to give unsuspecting riders that this situation could put them in peril. I am a 75 yr old rider who has never had an accident. The machine never made a sound and i was never even shifting.
Have a good day and thanks for your interest,

Jim

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

The new sprocket is not any better than the old ones. The sprocket is now white instead of black. The only difference that I know of is they changed the teeth of the sprocket so the belt noise is not as loud.
The rust is not caused by rain or moisture, it's oxidation. It's much better for your sprocket to go bad as opposed to your shaft. When we repair these we loctite the pulley to the shaft with 648. We've never had one go bad after that.

On Wed, Mar 16, 2022 at 8:06 AM Jacob Tinker <[email protected]> wrote:
---------- Forwarded message ---------
Date: Tue, Mar 15, 2022 at 11:01 PM
Subject: Front sprocket spline
To: <[email protected]>

I wonder if you know if brp improved the strength of front sprocket splines. No one seems to know. My spyder has never been abused or run in the rain(rust issue). I was running on a city street and lost all power. I am having it replaced as we speak. The dealer said splines were destroyed. I hoestly don’t trust it now. After research on some forums this is a common problem.

Sent from my iPad

Jim Bandauskas
Surprise, Arizona

--
Lamonster INC.
Jacob Tinker
General Manager
417-313-2245
[email protected]
www.lamonstergarage.com
Lamonster Garage
1271 N. Robin St.
Nixa MO 65714
--

Lamont Bryden aka Lamonster
Cell 417-313-2250
Lamonster Garage

1271 N Robin St.
Nixa, MO 65714
Shop 417-313-2245
https://www.facebook.com/lamonster.spyderlovers

·
Super Moderator
'17 RT Limited
1,482 Posts
The new sprocket is not any better than the old ones.

The rust is not caused by rain or moisture, it's oxidation.
The real problem IS:

The sprocket is made with a tiny, TINY little bit of too much "slop" where the splines mate with the shaft.
THAT allows for some microscopic movement of the sprocket against the shaft.
THAT causes some metal from the softer sprocket to become powder which oxidizes faster and easier.
Rust IS by definition iron oxide. Moisture just speeds up the process.

And the fix that you related is, I believe, what BRP says to do when putting on a new sprocket.
It stops the rubbing movement, stops the sprocket from wearing and prevents the metal powder from forming.

That application of Loctite should prevent the problem with an original sprocket too.....IF it is done before there is any evidence of excessive wear or red dust.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The real problem IS:

The sprocket is made with a tiny, TINY little bit of too much "slop" where the splines mate with the shaft.
THAT allows for some microscopic movement of the sprocket against the shaft.
THAT causes some metal from the softer sprocket to become powder which oxidizes faster and easier.
Rust IS by definition iron oxide. Moisture just speeds up the process.

And the fix that you related is, I believe, what BRP says to do when putting on a new sprocket.
It stops the rubbing movement, stops the sprocket from wearing and prevents the metal powder from forming.

That application of Loctite should prevent the problem with an original sprocket too.....IF it is done before there is any evidence of excessive wear or red dust.
Thanks for the Great Information!

·
Registered
64 Posts
If I understand the problem and its correction properly, the Loctite is applied to the splines to remove the "tiny, TINY little bit of too much "slop" where the splines mate with the shaft."

Is my understanding correct? If so, what Loctite formulation is used?

Thank you.

·
Registered
2017 Can Am F 3 Limited 6 speed
127 Posts
I recently pulled the sprocket on my new to me Spyder F 3 2017.
I was about to remount it when my Engineer mate turned up.
He had a look at the the splines and thought they looked surprisingly good. Sharp and flat.
I was about to put the "Molly Grease" talked about quite often here regarding the sprocket.
He sucked his teeth and asked of I had any Copper Paste.
In his opinion it was a better choice for that application. Hands Down.
So I took his advice and used that.

Oxidation is rust, isn't it?

·
Super Moderator
'17 RT Limited
1,482 Posts
I don't remember. Maybe someone else will.
Or call a Spyder dealer and find out.
And then let us know.

I would NOT "fix" the situation differently based on advice from a well meaning "friend".
The advice might be wrong and make the situation worse.

·
Registered
2017 Can Am F 3 Limited 6 speed
127 Posts
I would NOT "fix" the situation differently based on advice from a well meaning "friend".
I guess is many situations thats very good advice.
In this case my advice from a well meaning "friend" is a recently retired Mechanical Engineer.

I will whip it off for the next service in 12 mths and check it out.

·
Registered
2021 F3
12 Posts
If I understand the problem and its correction properly, the Loctite is applied to the splines to remove the "tiny, TINY little bit of too much "slop" where the splines mate with the shaft."

Thank you.
From the post above..."When we repair these we loctite the pulley to the shaft with 648. We've never had one go bad after that."

·
Registered
2 Posts

Took it in and sprocket was oxidized. They replaced sprocket and added Loktite to keep it secure. It had 24,000 miles. See how long it lasts.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2015 canam spyder rt se6. 25,000 front sprocket failure. Driving to work. 40 mph when sprocket gave out. I live in arizona so no rust and never abused. Very dangerous ! Day prior i was on expressway average speed 75 mph. There should be a recall on these dangerous machines!
Duh! There IS a recall out on them.....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts