Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2015 f3s 54k mi. dealer says upper and lower ball joints needed replacing before alignment can be done. Friend took his in to same dealer was told the same thing hes bike only had 20k mi. at the time. he took it to another dealer they did alignment with nothing said about ball joints he hasn't had any more issues with tire ware. Dealer charges 1,100 to do this work that's a hard pill to swallow. I have not noticed irregular tier ware bike seems to be drifting to left but not enough to fight with. Does anybody know how to check if joints are needed? The only other dealer is several hundred miles away

·
Registered
2017 Can Am F 3 Limited 6 speed
110 Posts
1st up. Did the dealer who said it need work raise and check out the front end at all? Check it out? Cant really see how they could say that if they hadn't checked it out.

I would apply the parking brake, then raise the front off the ground say 6" or so. Get a 4 ft bar or bit of timber and slide it in under the wheel a bit. Then lift the bar up and down a little, raising and lowering the wheel. Dont overdoo the lift, just enough to lift the wheel and then a smidgen more. Have a look at each joint individually while the lifting and releasing is going on. Any movement should be obvious in the suspension joints if you have a close look while levering it up and down. Maybe have someone else work the bar and 1 looking at all the joints. Then grip the wheel on the sides with your hands.and move back and forth. Like turning lock to lock turns. Back and forth. Movement in the joints? Lastly I would pull the wheel forwards and back, again and again. Again looking for any joint slop , clunk or movement. If there is no movement at all anywhere its fine and that dealer is is suspect. Your bike with irregular tyre wear does indeed sound like it would benefit from an ligament. Me I would consider a new set to tyres then the alignment.

Oh and welcome aboard.

Gerald Mac.

·
Super Moderator
'17 RT Limited
1,436 Posts
The profit margin on things like ball joints is HUGE.
The odds that it really needs that work are tiny.

You NEED to find another dealer. That one doesn't deserve a penny of your money.

Might want to check the brakes to see if the left front is dragging.
And the rear wheel to see if it is not perfectly straight.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The profit margin on things like ball joints is HUGE.
The odds that it really needs that work are tiny.

You NEED to find another dealer. That one doesn't deserve a penny of your money.

Might want to check the brakes to see if the left front is dragging.
And the rear wheel to see if it is not perfectly straight.
I sure appreciate the info you guys provided " big help!!"

·
Registered
2017 Can Am F 3 Limited 6 speed
110 Posts
Ah mate ya cant leave it there.
For example.
1st up. Did the dealer who said it need work raise and check out the front end at all?
And did you check it out at all?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts