Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 30+ years of 2 wheeled riding, 26 of them being on HD Touring bikes, I was forced to make a change. Due to a disability, I can no longer pull in the clutch or shift my Ultra with the left foot. My husband and I decided that the only solution for me was the RT-S SEC. I have only ridden it for a short distance and am very concerned about the squigly front end. From what I have been reading here, this is something you become accustomed to and more tire pressure and stiffer shocks help. I can handle that. What is scaring me most are all the breakdowns and 'limp home mode' reports. Are these things really that undependable? I do not always travel with my husband and breakdowns are very scary for me.

Anyone out there pulling a trailer other than the Spyder? Any problems? I have a trailer I used with my HD Ultra that weighs about 200# empty. Also, have a small landscaping trailer (again about 200#, maybe less) that I put my handicapped scooter on. I have not yet had the trailer hitch put on the Spyder, but am wondering if I would have any problems pulling either of these trailers.

Also, wondering if there are any Spyder Ryders in the Poconos of PA. We have one Spyder in our motorclcle club but he is to new to the Spyder experience to answer any questions for me. If there are Pocono Spyders, or near by Spyders out there; please check out our web site Rider Motorcycle Touring Club, Pocono Mountain Chapter and join us for a meeting and/or a ride.

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts
Welcome to the party Alice! :D The transition to a "tripod" will take some adjustments... Do you have any ATVing or snowmobiling experience? That seems to help a lot.
I'm sorry to hear that you're having to make such a concession to stay out on the road and in the wind, but it'll be worth it! Please try and give it a couple of hundred miles and it should start to get better. Try to keep a very relaxed grip on the bars so that you don't end up micromanaging the steering. My first couple of miles out from the dealers I was SURE that I had made a mistake... then I relaxed! :cool:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Welcome, Alice!!

Bob beat me to it - relax your grip on the handlebars and the squiggly front end isn't nearly as squiggly. I thought they were crazy when I first read that, but gave it a shot, and am so glad I did. My Spyder shot up the love meter so fast I thought for a minute it was going to pass my husband, but luckily it stopped short. :D Give yourself a couple hundred miles to adjust - I think you'll like it.

Like any other forum, you'll read more things wrong than right... because its the folks with problems who are posting to try to get help fixing them, and the folks with Spyders running correctly are busy riding instead of talking about it. I'd be riding today myself, if it weren't for a pinched nerve in my neck. Puts the brakes to everything fun in a hurry... so that's why my Spyder's parked today!!

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Thanks! Yea, happens every now and then. No idea why. I was bending down last weekend to check the air in my tyre so we could ride, and it pinched. We rode anyway, and its gotten worse all week. *sigh* Hope to be good for riding again by next weekend! I'm going through withdrawals!!!

(P.S. I'll trade you the pinched nerve for yardwork...) :)

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Wouldn't be a fair trade for you at all... we're at 105! Headed over, thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts