Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from Middle TN. I'll be throwing a leg over, in three days. my first time owning a three wheeler. much less, with two wheels out front.

I've ridden bikes since I was 14; and have been interested in a trike setup for several years. after having walked away from a total loss crash last week... it looks like my guardian bell is telling me something.

I'll pick up my RT, in a few days; and this is going to be something new for me to enjoy. any of you out there, that have suggestions... I'm open to any good advise.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Welcome! :)

It will take a little while to get used to the RT. The best advice is to not hold on the the handle bars in a death grip. It only takes a light touch to turn with the new DPS system they have.

And don't forget there's no front brake on the handle bar! :eek:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks! good advise on both counts. I've gotten so used to using the front brakes for so many years, that I very seldom have to replace the back. this will be a new learning curve for me; not to mention, power streeing on a bike. it'll be fun though.

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
haven't done ATVs in decades. but have never done snowmobiles.

I will keep those suggestions in mind though. the dealership gives you a good parking lot pre-ride course; then they send you out on a predetermined road ride, just to get the feel of it. so that'll help. then... I'll have the ride home to freak out on. :eek:

I think I'll do fine. just want to get the basics down, before I hope on and hit the road.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
First ride report

I enjoyed the dealer orientation ride. they were very helpful. then I took it straight home; which just happened to be on the same curvy mountain road that I layed down my last bike, last Monday.

I was pretty cautious with rush hour traffic, the ride on the freeway, then the city ride. I did grab for the front brake a few times. :rolleyes: but there was plenty of room for shoving my foot into the brake; so it worked out okay. keeping the left wheel on my side of the center line, took some concentration.

once I started up the mountain... the real fun started. :eek: it took several good turns to get the feel of body positioning and steering. by the time I crested the top, and started down the other side; my hands were worn out (but warm... great grip heaters). Jeff should get a kick out of this...

by the time I made it home, I had calmed down enough to realize I was going to like riding this arachnid.

the ride into work this morning (on a mountainous, pitch black road...), was done around 5:00am. rush hour starts around 5:30-6:00, on our side of the mountain. the lighting on this little monster is GREAT! deer, unleashed domestic critters, livestock or anything else; would not have stood a chance of a sneak attack from the roadside. I was very impressed with the range of the lights.

I was a bit more comfortable on the ride into work this morning. lane presence, and turn negotiation, came much easier. once I made it into work; it felt strange to back up into the bike slot.

the ride home tonight... was much more relaxed and enjoyable. I think a few more weeks of riding, will definitely help my learning curve.

we should've done this a while back... ;)

·
Registered
306 Posts
I enjoyed the dealer orientation ride. they were very helpful. then I took it straight home; which just happened to be on the same curvy mountain road that I layed down my last bike, last Monday.

I was pretty cautious with rush hour traffic, the ride on the freeway, then the city ride. I did grab for the front brake a few times. :rolleyes: but there was plenty of room for shoving my foot into the brake; so it worked out okay. keeping the left wheel on my side of the center line, took some concentration.

once I started up the mountain... the real fun started. :eek: it took several good turns to get the feel of body positioning and steering. by the time I crested the top, and started down the other side; my hands were worn out (but warm... great grip heaters). Jeff should get a kick out of this...

by the time I made it home, I had calmed down enough to realize I was going to like riding this arachnid.

the ride into work this morning (on a mountainous, pitch black road...), was done around 5:00am. rush hour starts around 5:30-6:00, on our side of the mountain. the lighting on this little monster is GREAT! deer, unleashed domestic critters, livestock or anything else; would not have stood a chance of a sneak attack from the roadside. I was very impressed with the range of the lights.

I was a bit more comfortable on the ride into work this morning. lane presence, and turn negotiation, came much easier. once I made it into work; it felt strange to back up into the bike slot.

the ride home tonight... was much more relaxed and enjoyable. I think a few more weeks of riding, will definitely help my learning curve.

we should've done this a while back... ;)
Glad to hear you are getting a chance to ride your new RT. This thing is amazing and fun to ride.

I went on a 120 mile ride today (20-30 degrees). I came accross a 1/4 mile stretch of wind drift snow across the road. The rear wheel on my GS slipped side to side but stayed under control no two wheeled bike would have made it without laying down.

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts
Glad to hear that you're digging it!! :D Does your RT have the foglights also? I found that they also throw more light to the sides of the road; pinning the little buggers :eek: in their tracks... :cool:
If I had more advice to lend to you, I'd just mention that taking it easy and gradually getting more and more comfortable with the Spyders keeps the stress level to a minimum... But I think that you've already got that one figured out!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
this RT has factory foglights; and it makes a difference. during daylight, I run high beams and fogs. it works out well, until about and hour before sunset. then I just run the fogs anyway.

and the stress factor is greatly reduced with each ride. the power streeing is something that DOES take some getting used to; which I think is a time issue.

I think we made a good choice in an RT for our trike interest (or training wheels, as the guys at work call it...). none the less... I think we can have a good time on this bike and obtain the ride we were looking for.

tomorrow will end the year on a positive note; with the ride to and from work.

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts
My original thoughts on the power steering as I was riding home from the dealers was, "I'm gonna get myself killed on this evil contraption! :eek:"

Then I remembered that I had a while knuckle grip on the bars... I relaxed and put my trust in BRP to build a machine that could track straight without all of my constant input into the bars. Then everything fell into place and the rest is History... :cool:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
284 Posts
Welcome to the Spyder club...or your arachnid, as you call it. :)

I got my RTS at the end of October having never driven anything but a car prior to my MSF course. I never figured out with any real competence how to drive with controls at both hands and feet, so didn't have any unlearning to do.

I had much the same experience as you with steering though. Didn't much trust it at first. The off cant street on the way home had me crawling below the speed limit. I could barely get up to the speed limit on the highway between home and work due to the weird curves that set up the intersections. I felt like the biggest dork on the road. Shiny blue machine with a wuss under the helmet. I was glad to have a tinted faceshield on.

After about a week of riding and a bout of modestly trying to get the Spyder to rebuke me, I learned to trust it. My slow poke turns at intersections (less than 10 mph) I can power on at the apex. The cant in the road on the way home, I'm not sure if it even existed before. The highway curves no problem to ride now safely at speed or maybe slightly above.

Night riding was sketchy at first. Once I checked my headlight beam height, I found out why. Danged things were aimed WAY low. There was no seeing 2-4 seconds ahead on the highway at dark. Once I aimed them according to spec, I've got no problem. The fogs are still aimed too low and I'm just not willing to dive in to dial them in yet. My dealer forgot to put the adjustment cables on them and apparently you have to take the front cargo compartment off to adjust them without the cables.

Glad you are enjoying your new ride. They are a blast!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
the power steering issue was lessened by the third ride. each subsequent ride has gotten MUCH better. just something most riders aren't used to, on a bike.

at present... the lights seem to be aimed sufficiently. might be worth looking into though.

the ride in this morning, WAS AWESOME! I only saw three vehicles. one that passed me, and two that were headed the other direction. it gave me a LOT of time to find the sweet spot of riding this particular road. it made a HUGE difference on the ride home this evening.

when I came out of Wal-mart, some guy walked up and asked about the bike; and told me that he and a couple of his friends were eyeballing it earllier. I asked, which one of them was drooling on it; and he ratted out one of his buddies. :) he had a lot of questions about who, what, where and how much. you should've seen the looks I got, when I did a picture perfect U turn, to back out of the spot I was in (an area next to the shopping cart storage). ;) I was impressed with how easy and fluid the bike did it. the DVD is correct about the number of heads these things turn.

tomorrow is supposed to rain cats and dogs; so Sunday, it gets a bath and a wax job. then I take the Mrs. out for her first ride on it. good way to end one year, and start a new one.

you folks take care, ride safe, and have a good new year.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts