Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you ever had a flat while out on the road? What would you do if you had one on the Spyder? I have been thinking of carrying a can of Slime or similiar product. Would it be safe for the Spyder? I have been putting the miles on and have never had a plan in that event. David

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Don't slime your ride!

A plug kit and a small compressor is an excellent idea. Seems that the trunk is becoming a crowded place with the regular carried items.

A word to the wise about SLIME. OK for your lawn tractor, not so good for your commuter or fun toys. I have been an offroader, ATV'er and duner for decades. SLIME and alloy wheels don't mix. On more than one occasion I have seen ATV Aluminum wheels separate the bead from the rim due to SLIME's corrosive nature with Aluminum. Granted the typical ATV wheel is only .090", but you can't argue the cause of the destruction.

Go for the plug kit & air compressor. Add a 12V power outlet to the trunk wall. Somewhere under all those Spyder covers, there may be a good spot to hard mount a compressor. Only put 1500 miles on mine. Have not stripped it down, but I am curious about what's under there!

Spyder-sense

·
Registered
36 Posts
SLIME does not react with steel wheels. You are right, it works awesome. Not much experience changing tires that have been SLIMED. Other fix-a-flats I've used and replaced the tires would dry out and leave some residue behind, but it would clean up off the beads.

Spyder-sense

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just in case

I carry a plug kit that contains the small gas bottles that you use once then throw 4 should get you to the nearest Servo.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Then you won't know where to insert the plug! HA HA.

Chances are you won't discover you have a leak until the tire is flat. To find the leak, the tire must be pressurized. If you have a way to get air in the tire, use water or other un-carbonated liquid. Soapy water works the best. Locate the leak. If it is a nail or screw, extract it before you plug it. Follow the directions that will come with the plug kit and complete the repair. If you can't extract the nail, the plug kit tool without the loop can be used to push the nail into the tire only as a short term fix. Then air up the tire. Very short term because the nail will act like a floating wheel weight and bounce around inside the tire. Many tire shops(I.E. Discount Tire) won't patch a tire that has been plugged. At that point replace the tire.

No air source? Try my favorite, Prestone Fix-a-flat. Even the rear tire could be fully inflated with less than one full can. Fix a flat will show you where the leak is. I still suggest the plug at that point just to be safe.

Spyder-sense

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Then you won't know where to insert the plug! HA HA.

Chances are you won't discover you have a leak until the tire is flat. To find the leak, the tire must be pressurized. If you have a way to get air in the tire, use water or other un-carbonated liquid. Soapy water works the best. Locate the leak. If it is a nail or screw, extract it before you plug it. Follow the directions that will come with the plug kit and complete the repair. If you can't extract the nail, the plug kit tool without the loop can be used to push the nail into the tire only as a short term fix. Then air up the tire. Very short term because the nail will act like a floating wheel weight and bounce around inside the tire. Many tire shops(I.E. Discount Tire) won't patch a tire that has been plugged. At that point replace the tire.

No air source? Try my favorite, Prestone Fix-a-flat. Even the rear tire could be fully inflated with less than one full can. Fix a flat will show you where the leak is. I still suggest the plug at that point just to be safe.

Spyder-sense
Thanks for the info. I'll look into it. David

·
Registered
22 Posts
New Gm tire patch kit

I have a 2010 Camaro.. There is no spare tire for it.. In place of the spare tire there is a small compressor with a bottle of fix-a-flat attached to it.. As the tire pumps up it put the sealer in the tire at the same time... The wheels are aluminum on the car.. I wouldnt think that GM would send something that would mess up the wheels of the car but who knows..

Now you can buy these kits at autozone or advanced auto to replace your use one... So why couldnt this be used on the Spyder??

·
Registered
39 Posts
Slime a problem

One other problem not addressed here is the amount of slime to seal the leak. And it can create an inbalance of the tire that could be dangerous at highway speeds.

i would stick with the plug an soapy water to find the leak. Its safer :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Agreed. Bought a plug kit and a can of fix-a-flat the other day. Truck space is filling up. Still has more trunk space than our old Pontiac Solstice with the top down!

Spyder-sense

1 - 12 of 12 Posts