Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was riding home yesterday and hit a series of manholes that had not yet been filled flush with the road surface. It wasn't a big deal but the last one caused the bike to report a VSS Error and DPS error followed by a switch to limp mode. I've read about this but never had it on my spyder. When I got home, I pulled into the garage and restarted. The error appears to have been cleared. Is this common after hitting uneven surfaces? I've seen comments on limp mode and certainly DPS issues in the past but this was directly linked to a cause.

Thanks

Brian

·
Registered
43 Posts
That's a first that I've heard of and I have followed most of the forums since 2008.

Have no idea whether or not it's significant, just keep an eye on it. This could be the beginning of a DPS issue.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Check the back spring/damper. Sound like one of the sensor wire is between the spring and when the spring/damper goes in the bottom you are nearly cutting the wire. Has been some issues on the RS on this. Just loosen the wire a bit and use a plastic strip to sure it would not hit that spot again.

It also could be a faulty back light

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Check the leaf spring on the brake switch. Make sure there is an audible click when the pedal is pressed and another audible click when the pedal returns against the rubber bumper. If the switch doesn't sense the brake lever has returned to normal, it can cause a brake failure fault that can result in a limp home mode.

The bump--and possibly your toe hitting the lever--can cause the brake arm to drop sightly.

pmdave

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yeah my RT has hit a pothole and popped a code out too. I did not go into limp mode and it disappeared so fast I failed to catch what the orange message even said. That was almost 1000 miles ago and nothing has reappeared or transpired since then that is noticable. Like waiting through the calm before the storm! Bill :confused:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Has happened to me twice now, both times in the morning at start up, didn't even have time to put all my stuff on, limp home came on, ironic but lucky that both times it has happened it's been in the garage.... At Dealership now, hopefully will be an easy fix, will post what they tell me......

·
Registered
7 Posts
BOB sure is a Nice 2010 Blue RT Audio & Convenience model Se-5 transmision, looks wonderful and like mine except I haven't got the Fog lights yet.....

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts
Thanks! I always try to throw as many watts down the street in front of me as possible... and then wish for more! :D I don't want anybody saying that they "didn't see" me...:mad:
If you've got a wiring diagram for your bike, I'd be following the wiring out to the sensors to check for anything wrong there, and then maybe pray that all of the sensors are "sensing" properly! Please let us know what they find!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
24 Posts
Dave, How does your foot tapping the brake pedal set up an upset stomach for the computers??:confused: Is it just the combination of events, or is there more to this?
I'm not sure exactly how it all works. There are something like 17,000 different fault codes. But here's what I think happened to Sparky. The brake microswitch sends a signal to turn on the brake lights when the pedal is pressed. But it also sends a signal when the pedal is released--perhaps to signal the computer that the rider isn't driving around with the brake applied. What I discovered is that I needed to hear the switch activating in both positions. If you can't hear a click when the pedal returns up against the rubber stop, the spring isn't adjusted correctly, and can generate a brake fault.

It's very likely that the brake computer has some sort of time limits to avoid generating a fault when you're on the brake for more than a moment. Let's imagine that if the brake computer senses the brake lever not returning to "off" for more than 10 minutes--or whatever--it generates a fault.

pmdave

·
Registered
11 Posts
Similar Problem Almost Caused Me to Go Off Bridge

I have a 2010 Aud/Conv package and have had it for 3 months now, only 500 miles and about 8 rides (am disabled). My bike went into Limp Mode the first week I had it and they said it was a brake sensor fault.

Well, I was riding the other night and preparing to exit onto a very high ramp. I had a car right on my tail, followed by many others and was travelling at 69 mph. The bike suddenly went into Limp Mode, which slowed the bike instantly to 40 mph and then 45 mph. The cars behind me were screaching their tires and I almost got rear-ended off a 200' bridge in a corner. Then the Check Engine light came on, followed by the VSS light. I pulled over immediatley, as you can imagine and I turned the bike off for about 5 minutes. I restarted, Limp Mode was gone, VSS was gone, but DPS was on now. So, I made it home, started the bike about 5 hours later and no warning lights at all.

I didn't swerve abruptly, no potholes and was just going straight. So, my record for Limp Mode is about a 25% of the time occurence to date ! The dealer has no idea, but is going to install the software again and apply all the patches and recalls to date. But, you can lose your life over this Limp Mode problem as I almost did. It scared the bejesus out of me and I have been riding bikes for over 35 years.
Tom

·
Registered
5 Posts
The motorcycle

U.S. motorcycle with its technological content is low, speed and celebrated. Actually, this can save many motorcycle accessories. wholesale nfl jerseys United auto companies use of lightweight carbon to replace the car almost every metal parts. Company specially invited professional Foraxis industrial design company help making new parts,.eventually grandlyhas promoted the B91 "ghost" light weight, only 17 kilograms. The focus vignale concept car without touching the beam of the tank. The engine fuel moved below, hidden in a fiber production container, effectively reduce the car's centre of gravity. Authentic NFL jerseys Hollow fiber beam steering neck across from the bus to the rear shock absorber. The car is used double beam fuel containers. Connection point directly in the car on the beam, casting a few pounds saved the screw.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Limp Mode causes the trike to have a RPM limit of I think if I am rmrmbering right 3700 and it immediatly goes to that RPM regardless of where or how you may be riding. Even on the highway where I was with no one around me it is earth shaking to say the least. I sure think it is a safety hazard that can as noted above kill a person! What can be done about it? Not much I would guess as it is just another case of Big Brother is watching over you! Bill PS That other post is spam to what I see of relavancy to the post? ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts