Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never owned a motorcycle before, dirt bikes as a kid, driven a couple smaller Harleys, but not much experience. I like to drive fast...but something about tearing the highway up at 100 mph on two wheels doesn't seem too appealing to me (or safe). I saw these Spyders, and I just needed to have one.

I have yet to test drive one, which I plan on doing once the weather improves in the Spring...but unless I get on it and for some reason it's the most uncomfortable thing ever, I will own one.

I would primarily be driving it myself...but my girlfriend and I have talked about taking whichever model I end up with 6 hours east to Cedar Point in Sandusky, Ohio for a day...and maybe up to Mackinac Island, Michigan as well. I think the RS-S models are badass...and that black phantom body kit especially! And I see you can purchase adjustable backrests, and I'm wondering if that will make the bike comfortable enough for her for our occasional trips together on the bike...or if the RT model would be better. Because 90% of the driving will be me alone...I would prefer the sportier model vs. the bulkier touring version. Just looking for some feedback from Spyder owners with wives/girlfriends who also like to hop on from time to time. Can I make a RS-S model comfortable for her for random decent length trips with add-ons...or is the RT a must have? Thanks!!

·
Registered
284 Posts
I love my RTS. Got it in October. My wife LOVES it! I tried sitting on an RS in the shop. It was too uncomfortable for me. I felt too bunched up on it. Even on the RTS I feel cramped up after a while. If you are 6' and up, make sure you sit on both before making a decision.

First motorcycle I ever rode was the little Honda Rebel the MSF course provided. I bought my RTS the next day after class was over. Only regret I have is when the bill comes every month (laughs).

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
My wife and I bought the RS and Bob does have a valid point in that by the time you get all the stuff to make the RS comfey you could have bought an RT. Having said that my wife and I both like our RS. I didn't like the riding position so have changed the bars, changed the seat and now ordered the floor boards. I put the back rest on when my wife rides with me and she likes it much better than not having it on.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Welcome to the Y factor. I have an RS with some of the additions you mention. I have an extended windshield, wind deflectors, adjustable passenger backrest and hard Givi saddlebags. I agree the RS is much sportier, almost like a sport bike. There are some tradeoffs you will have to consider. How tall is your girlfriend? That will play a big part in your decision. My wife is 6 ft and an hour or so is all she can stand in the passenger position before she has to stop and walk around for a while. I am 6'1" and I can take 2-3 hours in the driver's position before I have to take a break and walk around a bit. It is a semi sportbike rider's position. I might add I do not have the extended passenger footpegs which would make a difference and you might consider that. I agree with the other comments from the other members that after you add all the additions you are paying almost as for an RT. However if you go on the Cycle Trader website you most probably can find an RS at enough of a discount to justify the additions. I did. In fact I bought mine in a state adjacent to yours - Ohio, at American Powersports, the Can Am dealer in Findlay, OH. A 15 hour drive for me but I saved a few thousand dollars over what I would have paid locally. If it's touring comfort with the girlfriend you're looking for then it's the RT. If it's looking sporty and cool with a bit of discomfort for the long rides then the only choice is an RS. I'm happy with mine even though my knees sometimes hurt after a long ride:) David

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think the RS is comfortable for me. I also ride a Hayabusa and I think it's fairly comfortable as well. The RS is fun to ride, the RT is just more of a tourer than RS.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I have a Red '09 GS with the seatback and 1" handlebar riser. I'm 6'1" and my wife and I can ride all day with short breaks every hour or two. I've just added the compfort seat which we help this summer for some longer rides.

I like the sport ride better than riding a sofa but I too will get an RT for the very long rides down the road.

·
Registered
504 Posts
For those of us that due to age......or whatever don't find it comfortable to lean over like you do on a stock RS, there is a ton of after market stuff to make the RS comfortable to ride long distance's. There is a fair amount of expense with this avenue but my Wife and I (maybe more me) wanted the RS.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys! I really do appreciate all the feedback. I'm in South Bend, Indiana, and it wouldn't be a huge ordeal to head to Ohio and check that dealership out. I may do so.

I sat in the RS and RT...and agree 100% about the difference seating positions. Guess I'll take a couple out and see how they feel.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts