Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to say hello as a new owner of a Spyder RTS. I have had two hip replacements and had to give up two wheeling. I was looking at several makes of trikes but the Spyder was just overwhelmingly cooler than anything I had ever seen.
For my first post, I`ll start out by telling you a story about my Spyder.
I had approx. 600 miles riding time so it was brand new. I live in a small community of Pleasant Grove Al. that was hit by the tornado outbreak on April 27th. Early that morning a bad storm had knocked the power out and had no battery operated radio, so periodically I would go to my Spyder to listen to the weather reports with my Spyders radio as I knew they were calling for very severe weather that afternoon. I kept my Spyder in the garage that was about 40 feet from the house down a covered breezeway.
As I was listening to the reports, a tornado had struck Tuscaloosa and was told the same tornado was heading my way about 40 miles away. Went back inside the house to gather up my emergency equipment to take to the basement, then went back out to the Spyder to try to figure what track it was going to take as the sirens were blaring for Jefferson county. The weather report said that a tornado was going through Bessemer Al which is several miles south and east of me so I thought I was in the clear. I had my two Basset hounds with me. Just as the weather report said that, dime sized hail begain to fall. I started to go back into the house and down to the basement after I saw the hail. But, as I got off my Spyder, around 5 seconds after I saw the hail, I heard the tornado and debris that was hitting the garage. My Spyder was backed up to a small table I kept my table saw on. It was just big enough to cover my head and shoulders. My butt and my legs were up against the Spyder. The roar of the tornado was deafening as debris was pelting the garage. Then the garage door just flew off and was sucked up in a blink of an eye. Then the roof just started peeling away. Then the Brick walls of the garage caved in on top of me and I started hearing the rafters hitting the table and the brick and blocks. My dogs were on both sides of me as close as they could be. It seemed much longer, but the whole event did not last but about 45 seconds, then everything was quite. I tried to move, but my sholders but the nails from the rafters were impeeding every move I made. I just knew I was breathing and checked the dogs and the were still alive also. I yelled out help a few times and after about 15 minutes I heard a voice asking if I was ok. He told me not to move and after about another half hour had a hole open that I could crawl out of. Another guy was with him and after I got out he asked if I was ok and then I started trying to coax my dogs out. I looked around to thank those guys but they had just disapeared.
Then the reality of the situation hit me as I looked around. The house was torn in half. The breezeway was gone and I had about 14 big, old, pine trees that was either on the ground or torn to shreds. My truck was about 200 feet from where I had parked it, and my car was under the carport that had collapsed on top of it.
As I collected myself even further, I noticed that both sides of the garage had collapsed up against my Spyder. On the left side of the Spyder, the brick and blocks were broken apart, but on the right side, the brick and block of the whole wall was intact resting atop my Spyder, probably a couple of tons worth! If it not been for the Spyder being where it was, at the very least, I would have been injured very badly, or crushed to death. My Spyder saved my life.
I had full coverage on my Spyder, but due to the extensive damage my city had gone through, it took 3 weeks just to get an adjuster to take my claim and another week to process, and has been in the shop for a month waiting on parts and such as it was not totaled. 14 grand worth of damage.
Anyway, It should be ready this week and I will be back on the road again.
I just want Y`all to understand this machine is very special to me, and I have missed it terribly, but by the grace of God, and my Spyder, I am living to ride once again.
I have pictures of the devastation but do not how to resize them for Y`all to see. If anyone on here could help me out with the resizing, I`ll be glad to post them.
Anyway, it is great that you have this forum and I know I will be happy to share my experiences with my Spyder on here.

Don

·
Registered
570 Posts
Wow! What an experience! Glad to hear you telling it as a survivor.

I have actually listened to the weather reports while on rides. That was more for finding out about the winds ahead. Still it is handy to have.

Good luck on getting everything back to normal!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Don,
I am so sorry to hear of the devestation you suffered from that tornado; I am really happy that you and the dogs came out okay. That's the first post I've read about a Spyder SAVING someone! I hope you'll get it back real soon and once again be out ryding.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Welcome, Don!

That's an awesome story... I was holding my breath! Thank you for sharing!

If you'd like to try shrinking the pics before you post, I use Resize Images online to make mine small enough to upload. Its self-explanatory.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After nearly 2 months being in the shop for repairs, I still haven`t got my Spyder back. Many promises has been made to me that they would have it ready on a certain date only to be disappointed in that not happening.
They had to tear the whole thing down and still found something wrong that they had to order later. That has happened three times. The first two times, BRP sent the wrong part or a different color body part. I am getting very sick of this runaround. Now it is a tire for God`s sake. Yes, I want it repaired right but someone from BRP or the dealership is dropping the ball and is frustrating the hell out of me. I drove off the lot paying 27,500 for a 2011 RTSE and there was 16 grand damaged to it. I even think it was the insurance carriers fault to begin with by not totalling it. I am normally a patient man but is running very, very thin at this time with the dealership, BRP, and Progressive insurance.
Sorry, I just had to vent a little.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Have you called your insurance agent and let them know there have been extra parts and more replacing than originally estimated? They may total it after all, and get you back on a new one quicker. Give them a call... and if they do total it, find a different dealership. That one doesn't sound like they know all that much about Spyders.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea Sass, I`ve gone through all of that nearly every day for the last week or two. Insurance will not total the Spyder. In fact, I do not want them to now. It should have been totaled at the beginning.
What was very bizarre to me was when the dealership told me last week, thursday, that the Spyder was broken completely down to start rebuilding this past monday a week ago after recieving the check from the insurance company one, and a half months ago. Then told me it was going to be ready this past wedsnday. That is when I found out they needed new parts were needed. Then proceeded to tell me it would be ready yesterday, Friday!
I was all geared up awaiting their call. I had to call them later in the day just to check. That is when I found out yesterday that more parts were needed and had to get in touch with my insurance again to re-adjust.
The one thing that really burned me up was that one of the items was a front tire for God`s sakes. Now I ask you. If they broke the Spyder down monday a week ago, shouldn`t they have noticed a tire? I may can understand a power steering module, but a TIRE!!!
Anyway, everything was taken care of by them and the insurance company and the parts are ordered. Now they are telling me it will be this wednsday at the earliest the Spyder will be ready, in which I just know that someway will be delayed again.
I talked to the dealership boss yesterday and he was very apologetic, but sassy. He told me that they discuss my problem in a meeting every morning. He also said he was going to throw in a free accessory for my trouble. I told him that I wanted the tow package and the trailer thrown in and he just laughed. I just want my Spyder back, that is all.
Big #1 cycle is the only dealership in my area that sells and maintain them. I have no other recourse but to use them for all my maintenance needs. That is the sad part besides not being able to ride. If my health was in better shape, I would have never gone to a three wheeler. Just frustrating to say the least that I have no control over this what so ever.
Anyway, enjoy your ride, but be wary of any repair problem because BRP certainly are not doing their part either.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Crimson, I understand your frustration. I'd be down at the dealership personally to make sure my bike was still in pieces, and not being enjoyed by a mechanic or salesperson instead.

There shouldn't have been an extra wait for them to get a replacement tire in - that should have been noticed and ordered when they had it apart last week. I'm afraid I don't have any faith in your dealership there... still sounds to me like there's something stinky in Denmark. How long has this dealership been an authorized outlet?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wow - very happy to hear you survived with no personal to yourself and that the hero "spyder" will be back on the road soon. I just bought one a couple of weeks ago and I love it, love it. Happy riding.:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
DK. I also have a right knee replaced and will have my left knee replaced in November. That was tough on a short guy like me riding a two wheeler at traffic stops. I looked at the Goldwing and harley trikes, but the Spyder intrigued me more. I`m just tired of the run around that has been given me, dealership, BRP, and Insurance. I almost bought a sportster yesterday to fill in what I am missing, but thought better of it. I`ll be on the road before too long from now. Hoping before winter sets in.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Crimson, I understand your frustration. I'd be down at the dealership personally to make sure my bike was still in pieces, and not being enjoyed by a mechanic or salesperson instead.

There shouldn't have been an extra wait for them to get a replacement tire in - that should have been noticed and ordered when they had it apart last week. I'm afraid I don't have any faith in your dealership there... still sounds to me like there's something stinky in Denmark. How long has this dealership been an authorized outlet?
They have been selling Spyders since the conception. Note though that I have been there often to talk to sales and service with nothing but lies. I now deal with the dealership franchiser, which also has left me with nothing but broken promises. It will be rectified even if I have to retain a lawyer. I paid 27,500 cash, plus with full coverage insurance. I promise I will get satisfaction one way or the other. My theory now is they have no idea what kind of damage a tornado can cause and they are scratching their heads. Someone owes me big time, and I will exhaust all levels to get what they owe me. I`m no dummy!!

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Good luck, and please do keep us updated on how this works out. We're pulling for you!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Finally got my Spyder back today and in a blink of an ey put 90 miles on it.
It sure felt good to be riding again. Now if I can just dodge tornados, I`ll be a happy camper.

Don

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Roll that throttle!!! Glad you've got it back and are enjoying yourself once again. Be safe!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts