Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:):):):):) Can you see the smile on my face, I can, lol Had trouble with turning , but learn to just let the bike take the road, with little input from me, and bingo, feel so much better now about this bike. Still not real good going into right turns at med speed, but getting better at it. had the bike up 70 mph, without one problem, turn on the radio and relaxed for about 50 miles, then turn in to get some ice cream, and to give my butt and arms a brake and then back out on the road., Just having fun down here in New Jersey,
going to take the wife out later she is going to drive, and I will follow her on my honda, I am going to have to get a new Spyder for me she wants this one, lol no more back set for her, very cool, every one have a nice mother's day. dennis

·
Registered
26 Posts
Let me just say as a newbie woman rider, once she tries it, YOU HAVE LOST YOUR SYPDER:) My husband has a goldwing and when we park in public places, everyone comes up to my Spyder to check it out. I think he may be a bit jealous..

·
Registered
55 Posts
Let me just say as a newbie woman rider, once she tries it, YOU HAVE LOST YOUR SYPDER:) My husband has a goldwing and when we park in public places, everyone comes up to my Spyder to check it out. I think he may be a bit jealous..

Girl you took the words right out of my mouth. I am a newbie rider too only 1 week under my belt. Hubby bought me the Spyder last Monday and then Attn I am getting is making him so jealous. :):) Just kidding he is eating it up because everywhere and I mean everywhere I go someone is right there telling me how awesome this bike looks.

·
Registered
55 Posts
:):):):):) Can you see the smile on my face, I can, lol Had trouble with turning , but learn to just let the bike take the road, with little input from me, and bingo, feel so much better now about this bike. Still not real good going into right turns at med speed, but getting better at it. had the bike up 70 mph, without one problem, turn on the radio and relaxed for about 50 miles, then turn in to get some ice cream, and to give my butt and arms a brake and then back out on the road., Just having fun down here in New Jersey,
going to take the wife out later she is going to drive, and I will follow her on my honda, I am going to have to get a new Spyder for me she wants this one, lol no more back set for her, very cool, every one have a nice mother's day. dennis
I can see your smile from here. I am doing the excat same thing. I am just so happy with my little Spyder Bug

·
Registered
12 Posts
Me too

Funny, I have a Spyder RT and hubby has a Gold Wing! Same thing happens to us!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I lost the RT, the wife has it, and will not give it back :eek:, But that is ok for now, still have my other honda, a 750c all dress up, will have to pull up with it till next year, when i can get the money save up for two spriders, I want a blue one.:D Have a question for the lady drivers how long before you drove the on the local streets, going to follow the wife around our local streets, want her to feel good about driving at med speed(not going over 50 mph) before i take her out on the parkway and doing 65 to 75 mph. three weeling is new to us, and I had a hard time stearing the bike, untill I got some info and help from this forum, still have to work on my right turns, lol
All in all, I love this new bike we have to share, lots of fun, just hope she lets me dirve it once in awhile, :rolleyes:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hey, sorry you lost you Spyder, but I know there will be two in your family soon.

I had basically never rode before I go the Spyder last week. I now go all over our local town, its just so easy to learn. I would suggest that if you have a mall that opens late on Sundays, maybe go in the morning and let her do lots of turning, stop, starts, reverse, etc. Actually just before I got the Spyder I was trying to ride a Harley Sportster with a trike kit and the mall was the best place for me. A couple of tips I read on here somewhere recently really helped me, 1) relaxed grip and 2) look into the curve, not at it. Originally I did not realize just how tightly I was griping the handles and the slightly lighter grip really seemed to help with steering. Looking at where I wanted to go rather than just at the curve somehow also really seem to help.

She will be comfortable in no time:)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Well I lost the RT, the wife has it, and will not give it back :eek:, But that is ok for now, still have my other honda, a 750c all dress up, will have to pull up with it till next year, when i can get the money save up for two spriders, I want a blue one.:D Have a question for the lady drivers how long before you drove the on the local streets, going to follow the wife around our local streets, want her to feel good about driving at med speed(not going over 50 mph) before i take her out on the parkway and doing 65 to 75 mph. three weeling is new to us, and I had a hard time stearing the bike, untill I got some info and help from this forum, still have to work on my right turns, lol
All in all, I love this new bike we have to share, lots of fun, just hope she lets me dirve it once in awhile, :rolleyes:
It's not a suprise that you would loose your Spyder to your wife. The spyder is so exciting to ride.

I was on the street the next day after I rode in my neighborhood for about 2 hrs practicing my street is curvy so I was able to get the feel of the curves.
Then I went on the rd where there was not a whole lot of traffic and just rode for hrs.. Stoped at a few places and got some really nice complements You just have to lean with the direction of the curve just a little more than you would with a 2 wheel bike. It's actually fun doing that. I would def slow down in a upcoming curve until she gets the hang of it and always slow to the speed it says to do in the curve. I went on my first long run as well 4 days after I got the bike went to Jefferson Texas and too the back roads where the speed limits were like 55-65 that way I did not have to ride interstate because I was not comfortable with going any faster just yet. I have to say hubby was so proud of me he said I was riding like a pro..

This Weekend were going on another little trip to a BBQ at a friends house its about 1 drive and they live out in the country so its going to be a nice ride. I actually stuck in the house right now because they parish is re black topping our street and I am not taking my spyder out to get it dirty on the street and get tar stuck on it. I am sad because I wanted to get out and ride it today..

I did not have a hard time steering the bike at all. It just takes a little getting use too just like when your use to driving a little car and jump into a suv its seem like your driving a tank.. or vise versa lol

let us know the progress if your wife's experience.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hey, sorry you lost you Spyder, but I know there will be two in your family soon.

I had basically never rode before I go the Spyder last week. I now go all over our local town, its just so easy to learn. I would suggest that if you have a mall that opens late on Sundays, maybe go in the morning and let her do lots of turning, stop, starts, reverse, etc. Actually just before I got the Spyder I was trying to ride a Harley Sportster with a trike kit and the mall was the best place for me. A couple of tips I read on here somewhere recently really helped me, 1) relaxed grip and 2) look into the curve, not at it. Originally I did not realize just how tightly I was griping the handles and the slightly lighter grip really seemed to help with steering. Looking at where I wanted to go rather than just at the curve somehow also really seem to help.

She will be comfortable in no time:)
Excellent advice dspyder. I was also doing the same thing with griping until I relaxed and got the feel of the bike. Also relaxing the back and buttocks as well has helped because when you get on the bike your tense and it seems like your whole body is in locked mode because your don't want to fall off.. lol needless to say with 3 wheels your not going to fall , I love my spyder.

·
Registered
377 Posts
"I have to say hubby was so proud of me he said I was riding like a pro.. " It's great to see progress, I have touched a speed of 50 and would like to go little bit further. how much have you touched.
You weren't asking me but I'll throw my 2 cents in anyway. What have I touched? Triple digits, probably just a couple short of the governed 110 mph top speed. Two lane road, very little traffic and mostly a straight line with just a little bit of a long sweeping curve. I have hit 80 on the interstate. Yes, it wants to wander a bit at those speeds and no, my grip wasn't light, it was tight, so very, very tight:) David

·
Registered
55 Posts
"I have to say hubby was so proud of me he said I was riding like a pro.. " It's great to see progress, I have touched a speed of 50 and would like to go little bit further. how much have you touched.

Well the first few days I did not go any faster than 50 then after I went a lil bit faster

on the 6 days I touched 70 and 75 for just a short minute then back down to

65-70. I am going to get there just might take a lil more time. I think I can do it

but I want to get more experience too and the msf class and really helped me a lot.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I know exactly what you're going through, my friend! I let my wife take my 2010 RT-S for a test drive around the neighborhood the first week of December and a week before Christmas, I was ryding her new Orbital Blue RT-AC back to Portland from the dealership in Phoenix. Since the first of the year, she's put on well over 6,000 miles. Now all I hear is "Let's go ryding!!" Breaks my heart! NOT!!! Now, she's a Spyder-ryder with a 'tude! :D

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts