Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am still trying to get more details on this, but a guy told state troopers he filled up the tank. Then at the 1st light his RS was smoking. He got off to investigate, and it burst into flames. He sTarted backing away and he claimed it exploded. :eek: Pictures are coming as soon as I figure out how to post them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK so here are the images. The RS was 3 years old and the rider told the oficers that he had just fueled it up. He was not the owner but was allowed to drive it. This happened right in front of the Saint Cloud Police Dept last night a little after 9:00pm. It was still on fire when the police crossed the street to investigate. They said it was a large fire and the front tires actually exploded. Well thats excitement here in Saint Cloud...:(

Attachments

·
Registered
570 Posts
I wonder if he spilled any fuel while filling up.

When I worked at a gas station many years ago, I saw a guy pull in on a bike. When he started to put the nozzle in, it spilled fuel on his engine and flashed a fire for just a second or so. As hot as the Spyders get with the catalytic converter, it would not surprise me if enough fuel was spilled that the bike would catch on fire.

Ever since seeing that bike flash, I am always careful to tip the nozzle down before getting to the bike so any fuel does not spill on the hot bike.

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Probably related to trying to get a truly full tank of fuel. That's a terrible design they have there that will be expensive to resolve if that's the cause and can be proved. So you're right, someone will have to die before they take notice.

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts

·
Super Moderators
2,781 Posts
I agree with Bob

there has been so much talk here about it being BRP's responsiblity for the fire/s..

I am sorry it happened it it would suck if it happened to me for sure, but ANY vehicle can have this type of thing happen..

my suggestion would be to find ANY sort of vehicle where this can't EVER happen and start using that mode of transportation

I think you will be walking though

·
Registered
90 Posts
The Spyder's fuel tank is no worse that any other motorcycle's tank... Or car for that matter.
EVERY manufacturer cautions against overfilling; the excess fuel gets into evporative canisters and all sorts of emissions parts and then causes trouble.
It's a shame that it happened; but I'd bet a nickel and a half that it wasn't the bike's fault...
Well I must be doing something wrong then and I still bet trying to get a full tank has something to do with this fire. But what are you supposed to do when you've traveled 125 miles so you stop to fill up, but the nozzle shuts off at 2 gallons. And you no darn good and well you should be able to put more in so you do. At just what point do you start putting fuel into the emission system as well as the tank? This is where I think the problem is and I know I'm not the only one that trickles more fuel in. So are we all potentially at risk of catching on fire for no apparent reason? I think so. So rather than BRP fix things so you can get a true full tank, they can just sit back and claim consumer error. Great. Well how about they start paying for the tow charges when we run out of fuel then!:rolleyes:

·
Super Moderators
2,781 Posts
I must be doing something wrong then or you guys in parts of the US have some real weird gas pumps

I never have an issue filling my tank even with those goofy nozzles for emmisions?

I just don't pull the lever to fill as fast as I can I have had times when it shuts off 5-6x, I just wait for a bit then gently pull the lever..

couple of times wife was looking under the bike to see where all the gas was going..

heck I get the same thing with my cars,,

·
Super Moderators
2,781 Posts
click off?

we don't have that option in Canada.. I never thought of even trying it doen there

I see people puttin their gas caps under the handle but that's just plain stoopid and lazy

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am still trying to get more details on this, but a guy told state troopers he filled up the tank. Then at the 1st light his RS was smoking. He got off to investigate, and it burst into flames. He sTarted backing away and he claimed it exploded. :eek: Pictures are coming as soon as I figure out how to post them.
I am a little suspicious on this one, insurance claim, crappy modifications, smoking??? who knows without more definate details. I have put a lot of hard and fast miles on my spyder and never a problem except burning off rubber. I more often than not squeeze every drop of fuel I can into my tank and I still do not worry about a fire. I have spent more than half my life fighting fires and will continue to squeeze that last drop into my Spyder tank :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
I am a little suspicious on this one, insurance claim, crappy modifications, smoking??? who knows without more definate details. I have put a lot of hard and fast miles on my spyder and never a problem except burning off rubber. I more often than not squeeze every drop of fuel I can into my tank and I still do not worry about a fire. I have spent more than half my life fighting fires and will continue to squeeze that last drop into my Spyder tank :)
This is actually a known issue and BRP recently released recall information. The gas caps weren't seating securely and vapors were escaping and causing combustion. New caps are being sent out and some models will be getting a little extra work, too. There are a bunch of threads around about it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
That and new gas guages that read correct as well.

I know these are 6.5 gal fuel tanks, so why do I ride for an extra 30 minutes after low fuel warning and fill up - but am only able to shove in 4 gallons?:confused:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts