Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2017 Polaris Rzr EPS 570 SXS
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the recall notice last May for a possible front sprocket failure but due to supply chain issues none of the dealers have had the parts to make any needed repairs. I finally got an appointment to have it checked and based upon prior discussions here was fairly confident that at 8,000 gentle miles it was probably fine. They still do not have the parts to make the final correction but did assure me that there was no wear or any other sign of an impending failure leaving me stranded along the road. Their best guess was that I was good to go for 10,000 miles but said they should have the parts in a month or two and I am now at the top of the list, they will call to set up an appointment when they come in. Getting a quote for a new set of tires to be purchased when I bring it in probably did not hurt... :ROFLMAO:

I am not quite down to the wear bars but the tires are originals and pushing 5+ years so I will go ahead with them doing the replacement. I don't trust any tire shop to pull the rear and get it and the belt back on correctly through replacing the fronts would be a piece of cake. About 3 years ago I had the outside dually on my 24' Class C blow doing $4,181 in damage to the coach. I had it inspected the day before and Discount Tire said it was fine with plenty of tread and properly inflated for the load it carried but it was 5.5years old. To the best of my knowledge I did not hit any debris out on I-10 but here in Arizona tires tend to time out before they wear out... lesson learned.

The challenge of returning to the dealer is that it is a 125 miles from Payson AZ where we live down to Phoenix and all the way across the Valley of the Sun to Ride Now Surprise, a 2+ hour ride. We hit the 101 loop at 0730 and while not fun those 40 miles were doable. I have been very happy with Ride Now Surprise and will continue to use them. Leaving at 0600 this morning it was 31 degrees so I opted to simply load it in my cargo trailer behind the Honda Ridgeline for the trip down.

I assume I will have some choices for the replacement tires but would appreciate any advice, stay with the OEM's or??? For the record I am happy with the ride an handling of the OEM's {I keep the fronts at 22 psi and the rear at 28} but there are probably better choices so lets hear your recommendations... TIA.

:cool:

· Super Moderator
'17 RT Limited
1,751 Posts
I assume I will have some choices for the replacement tires but would appreciate any advice, stay with the OEM's or??? For the record I am happy with the ride an handling of the OEM's {I keep the fronts at 22 psi and the rear at 28} but there are probably better choices so lets hear your recommendations... TIA.
Don't assume; ASK.
You should NOT even consider putting on another set of OEM Kendas.
Most dealers only sell those and the newer design Kanines.
The Kanines are better. A similar size "car tire" is even better.
Most owners are amazed at the more stable feel with good tires. I sure was.

· Registered
4 Posts
Don't assume; ASK.
You should NOT even consider putting on another set of OEM Kendas.
Most dealers only sell those and the newer design Kanines.
The Kanines are better. A similar size "car tire" is even better.
Most owners are amazed at the more stable feel with good tires. I sure was.
I agree on the auto tire idea. I put auto tires on when the Kendas wore out. I have probably three times the miles on the newer tires and they hardly seem worn. I think much better gas mileage as well. The new tires have been all over the country and up and down the east coast pulling a trailer. I'd say same with my rear tire. It wears more because the weight is on it but the auto tire is far superior to the Kenda.

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK guys, I am convinced... {and thank you} so specifically what tire did you buy for the fronts/rear?I will have the local Arctic Cat dealer mount the rear and deal with the belt as they are the closest shop authorized to work on Can Am's. They will mount it and check out the drive belt when installing the tire. I'll buy the fronts and have them mounted and balanced at the local tire shop.

I have used balance beads on my motorcycles with good results but the last set of tires I had them use "Ride On ", the gel that reseals and balances the tires. I had good luck with it on my Indian Springfield as it will keep you going with a minor puncture {and a little more air}. Would hate to get stranded with the Can Am due to a simple nail. Your thoughts and or suggestions?

· Super Moderator
'17 RT Limited
1,751 Posts
They will mount it and check out the drive belt when installing the tire. I'll buy the fronts and have them mounted and balanced at the local tire shop.
Will they be able to balance the rear wheel ?
NOT checking the balance can be a BIG mistake, since if it is way off things like the beads can't deal with it.
If yes, then why not just let them do the fronts too ??

Do some searching in Spyder forums for "tires". You should find TONS of information and opinions.
I never heard of Veedrestein (sp?) before but a lot of owners seem to like them.

When I'm due for tires again, I will be looking for "winter" tires (NOT snow tires) because they put the most rubber on the road, for better traction on ice. They should have bettter traction when dry too but may not be good in the rain.
Not a problem for me since I do not ride in the rain.

And finally.......the newer models of Kenda Kanines seem to be somewhat better.......and your Spyder dealer could do the whole job with them if you prefer simplicity.

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, balancing the rear wheel is part of their service. The only problem is that like most dealers their labor rate is $130 an hour. I can get the fronts for just the price of the tires at any tire shop and that will save me vs getting them from the dealer. I'll keep looking but it sure would be nice to hear from someone who has bought a specific tire with good results... As noted they are not even down to the wear bars yet but at 5 years old they are timing out so I have a little time to work this upgrade out. Thanks to one an all for your input.

· Registered
4 Posts
Yes, balancing the rear wheel is part of their service. The only problem is that like most dealers their labor rate is $130 an hour. I can get the fronts for just the price of the tires at any tire shop and that will save me vs getting them from the dealer. I'll keep looking but it sure would be nice to hear from someone who has bought a specific tire with good results... As noted they are not even down to the wear bars yet but at 5 years old they are timing out so I have a little time to work this upgrade out. Thanks to one an all for your input.

I took my wheels off and took them to a tire shop. I also ha ordered the tires to replace the Kindas with. They charged me like $50 to change them out and balance them. Although needed no weights in the end. I bought both front and rear at Tirerack.com for much less than from the tire shops. Getting the wheels off and back on is simple. I took rear wheel (only difference is width) to the dealer that once sold CanAms and they mounted it for about $80. The tires are Kumhos Solos and you can see the other info in photos.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

1 - 9 of 9 Posts