Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be picking up my Spyder tomorrow, and am curious about the heat coming off of the exhaust. Is that a real problem, or are there aftermarket modifications to divert it away from the foot and leg?

I understand that the radiator may throw its heat up at the rider, too.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
306 Posts
What model of Spyder are you getting?

Yes heat can be a problem. People that have not ridden other bikes before seem to have more problems with the heat than others.

I have a '09 GS and added a small deflector to keep the hot air from leaking out by my right foot.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I will be picking up my Spyder tomorrow, and am curious about the heat coming off of the exhaust. Is that a real problem, or are there aftermarket modifications to divert it away from the foot and leg?

I understand that the radiator may throw its heat up at the rider, too.

Thoughts?
Yes. The "air management kit" and "missing air dam" from Spyderpops Home - Spyderpops.com

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks, Jeff and Martin. Its a 2008 RS. I posted a pic in my newbie thread, but will post here as well (hoping not to anger the Forum Gods with pics in more than one place).

I've ridden a 1998 Yamaha Virago 750 until now, so know about heat on the feet. I'd rather keep the kicks as cool as possible, though, so appreciate the advice!

(Well, can't get the pic to post, but they are in my album in my profile. *sigh*)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Wrap exhaust too

Ditto on Air Management System and Missing Air Dam. Rode today with flip flops in 90 degrees here in Florida today, otherwise would melt the rubber on my boots. Wrapping the exhaust also helps with keeping it cool under the hood, but leans it out and needs O2 mod to run right.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ordered. Thanks for the help, guys!

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:eek:

J/K! I'll be happy to, once they come in and the hubster gets them put on. Luckily he's very mechanically-inclined, so I don't have to take her to the shop to add farkles and such. :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Congrats on the Spyder! Good to see another coming over to "the Odd Side" as my fellow two-wheelers say!
I'm in central Montana so I can say the hotfoot issue isn't much of a prob here. I did notice though the heat coming off the left side of the bike was pretty intense in the summer. I wound up lining the inside of the body work with 1250 degree heat reflective tape and it made a world of difference. I also enlarged the "vents" on the side air scoop panels for heat release. Those two things made the engine bay temp drop pretty good.
The hotfoot issue is a benefit here as I commute 55 miles daily and have done so down to 24 degrees. The engine heat at least keeps my tootsies warm!
Have fun with your new ride and keep 3 down!

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, ****!! I'm really enjoying my 3-wheel time. Very glad I bought her! Being in Oklahoma the heat can be a problem from about July through September most years. I'm excited about not having a hotfoot this summer!!!

The parts came in yesterday, but haven't put them on yet. Opted to have the mirror extensions that came in today put on this morning instead... weather's too nice to spend all day in the garage! I'll update on the mirror extensions thread with that info later... and when I get this stuff put on, I'll update here!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts