Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new 2011 Spyder RT. Love it. Just about at 600 miles on it. Weather was humid and about 84. After riding for an hour, pulled up in a gas station and had to sit idling a little bit, but really only like 3 minutes. Then I turned off the engine. Filled up my gas tank, put the seat back down, looked down, and saw a puddle of green fluid coming out from under my bike. Seemed like kind of a big puddle for the short amount of time I'd been there. Didn't hear anything. I looked at the gauges and my engine heat had gotten to the red level briefly. My husband said my engine might have overheated and the antifreeze boiled over? It's not that hot out and I didn't idle that long! Got back on, rode about 10 miles to home with no incident, engine did not overheat. Hasn't leaked in the garage. I hate to take it in because the nearest dealer is an hour away and I want to keep riding and not have my baby sitting in some stupid service center! But I'm suspecting I might have to. Anyone ever have anything similar happen?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update

Well, I haven't taken it to the dealer yet, now I have 1000 miles on it and the antifreeze leak has not happened again. I have been watching the temp and it has been fine. My husband things it must have been a fluke. I'll keep my fingers crossed!

·
Registered
16 Posts
At about the 400 mile mark on my 2011 RT A&C, I was turning a sharp corner and it was windy which kind of jerked the bike, but the wheels stayed on the ground. All of a sudden it went into "limp home mode" and it was flashing the check DPS (dynamic power steering). I pulled over and noticed a whole bunch of anti-freeze in the belly pan area and on the steering/suspension arms and tires. We wiped it down and got it restarted and after about another 100 miles so far it did not happen again. My overflow antifreeze tank is only about 1/4 full, it's below the frame that holds the jug in place. My dealer agreed with me that maybe the perfect rocking motion/wind happened and it blew some anti-freeze out the relief hose which maybe hit a sensor for the DPS causing a sort of false alarm. I am still not very confident in that answer and am keeping an eye on it. I did not add any more anitfreeze. Remember if you can't get it in neutral when the bike is off, it will start again if you put the brake down. We did not realize this for about 15 minutes while I contemplated a flat bed tow truck.

·
Registered
306 Posts
At about the 400 mile mark on my 2011 RT A&C, I was turning a sharp corner and it was windy which kind of jerked the bike, but the wheels stayed on the ground. All of a sudden it went into "limp home mode" and it was flashing the check DPS (dynamic power steering). I pulled over and noticed a whole bunch of anti-freeze in the belly pan area and on the steering/suspension arms and tires. We wiped it down and got it restarted and after about another 100 miles so far it did not happen again. My overflow antifreeze tank is only about 1/4 full, it's below the frame that holds the jug in place. My dealer agreed with me that maybe the perfect rocking motion/wind happened and it blew some anti-freeze out the relief hose which maybe hit a sensor for the DPS causing a sort of false alarm. I am still not very confident in that answer and am keeping an eye on it. I did not add any more anitfreeze. Remember if you can't get it in neutral when the bike is off, it will start again if you put the brake down. We did not realize this for about 15 minutes while I contemplated a flat bed tow truck.
You may want to take a close look at the bottle. Many have reported cracks in seems of the bottle. With the low amount of antifreeze in your bottle you may not see it leak again until the level is raised.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had trouble checking the level in the bottle especially when it was low. Shining a bright High intensity lantern up into the pod just behind the shock gives a clear view of the Antifreeze level and if theirs any cracks in the bottle they'll show up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts