Can-Am Spyder Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A week or two ago after filling the spyder with gas I got check engine codes and we went into limp mode to go the 4 miles to home. Top speed in 5 gear was 53 MPH. I got it home rechecked the oil and coolant after a bit and found everything as it should be so I went in the house and figured I would check it tomorrow as it was late and I was tired. I went out the next day and sure enough check engine message was scrolling accross the dash. Kind of frustrated I reved the engine and zing it was gone. I took it for a short ride and it ran great. I let it sit awhile and rechecked the oil and coolant and all was still well. I decided to run errands on the bike and sure enough after the frist 5 minute stop I had check engine messages again but no limp mode this time. It came and went all day as I continued to ride it. I found that if I waited about 5 minutes and tried the key to start it and then turned it off completely I could make it come and go. I set up an appointment and frooze my way (it was 29) to the dealer. He diagnosed it as a faulty oil pressure switch using the spyder software and through test rides and such. He said it should be safe to ride I will order the part and call you when it comes in. I rode home and that week I started using only the handle bar mounted switch to erase the read the safety page thing and haven't had a problem since then. Quite the coincidense huh? Don't know quite what to think now? Waiting on the part and call yet. Bill

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've had the ""VSS fault, check DPS" and "limp home mode" at least four times now. The first time was when I was having the "won't start" issue, and I thought it was related. Letting it sit while I went to dinner cured the fault and it then started and ran normally. But when I got the SE5 to the tech, he couldn't find any problems, and cleared the fault.

About 5 hours into the next trip, on the freeway at 70 - 75 mph, I noticed the warning light, even before it went into limp home mode. I pulled over and let it sit with the key off for about 5 minutes. It started and ran normally again.

About 5 hours into the next day, it did the same. I pulled over and let it sit with the key off, and it then ran normally.

On the return trip northbound, it faulted again, this time about 7 hours into the trip. Same treatment.

I haven't taken it back to the tech yet for more diagnostics, since I passed by the dealer area on a Monday, and I'm three hours away.

Any advice from the pros?

pmdave

·
Registered
6 Posts
How did the problem get resolved? ... and what since?

Hi Bill ...

Did you ever get this issue resolved, and how has your Spyder experience been since? I just took ownership of a '10 Spyder RT-S SE5.

Paul

A week or two ago after filling the spyder with gas I got check engine codes and we went into limp mode to go the 4 miles to home. Top speed in 5 gear was 53 MPH. I got it home rechecked the oil and coolant after a bit and found everything as it should be so I went in the house and figured I would check it tomorrow as it was late and I was tired. I went out the next day and sure enough check engine message was scrolling accross the dash. Kind of frustrated I reved the engine and zing it was gone. I took it for a short ride and it ran great. I let it sit awhile and rechecked the oil and coolant and all was still well. I decided to run errands on the bike and sure enough after the frist 5 minute stop I had check engine messages again but no limp mode this time. It came and went all day as I continued to ride it. I found that if I waited about 5 minutes and tried the key to start it and then turned it off completely I could make it come and go. I set up an appointment and frooze my way (it was 29) to the dealer. He diagnosed it as a faulty oil pressure switch using the spyder software and through test rides and such. He said it should be safe to ride I will order the part and call you when it comes in. I rode home and that week I started using only the handle bar mounted switch to erase the read the safety page thing and haven't had a problem since then. Quite the coincidense huh? Don't know quite what to think now? Waiting on the part and call yet. Bill

·
Registered
10 Posts
Try to change the relay. Don't remember exactly but think it was the relay that was largest. Most to the left ? It has an issue .
Got everything black in 100km and the gauge reset a couple of time and went black on time. Other times I got check engine. Not have an issue since and that is app. 15000km since.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts