Can-Am Spyder Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had the engine on my 2010 RTS die on me several times while driving. I have drained and changed the fuel and added stabilizer per dealer instructions and the engine still quits on me. This has happened after about a half hour of riding around town. The engine will eventually restart after several times, but this is far from what I feel is safe. If anyone has had a similar problem, please let me know what the fix is. Regards

Lou Z

·
Registered
163 Posts
The only times the engine has quit on my 2011 RT-AC has been when I accidentally bumped the kill switch. First time took me an hour to figure out what had happened.

·
Registered
570 Posts
When does the engine stall? Is it during deceleration, during idle? I think that there is probably a problem with it. You will need to provide the dealer with the exact information. If you can, get it on camera with a helmet cam or something.

Don't let the dealer or Can Am off the hook in solving this problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
stoping

I'm having the same damn problem. I have about 6000 miles on my bike and it has stop going around cornors at or around 15 to 20 miles a hour. Been to the dealers and they cannot find anything wrong. The other day I took off from a light and shifted into 2 at about 20 mph and it stopped on me. But as soon as I hit the start button it will start right now. But afaird what might happen when going 70 or more and have this happen. Will lose power steering and every thing. Taking it back to the dealers to have checked again.

·
Super Moderators
2,781 Posts
there was a few bulletins about the engine just dying, but most of the time it was when you were stopped

get them to check all the bulletins for the throttle body for the last 6 months

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When does the engine stall? Is it during deceleration, during idle? I think that there is probably a problem with it. You will need to provide the dealer with the exact information. If you can, get it on camera with a helmet cam or something.

Don't let the dealer or Can Am off the hook in solving this problem.
Thanks for the help. The engine quits while riding and while idling. It has happened in warm weather and cooler weather. It happens after I have been riding for a 1/2 hour or more. I thought it may be vapor-lock and mentioned this to the dealer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
there was a few bulletins about the engine just dying, but most of the time it was when you were stopped

get them to check all the bulletins for the throttle body for the last 6 months
Thank you. I alerted the dealer of your situation and what the fix may have been. We'll see where it goes from here. So far they have had the RTS for a week.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess that I'm curious as to why the dealer would have you draining the fuel and filter...
What exactly are you doing when it cuts out? Is it under acceleration? Idling? slowing down to stop? Does it bog until it quits, or is it feeling more like the computers are chopping it off at the knees real sudden?
Details...we need more details...
Thanks for the reply. I changed the gas, just in case there was water in the fuel. I have been using hi-test and there have been reports by Harley owners and car drivers of water in the gas since hi-test is rarely used these days by any vehicles.

The stall-out problem is very random. It happens while riding or idling at a stop light. Sometimes it will restart immediately. Last time it took 15 minutes to restart and keep going. The engine does not sputter, it just dies. The gauges show the RPM's dropping to zero. Since the gauges work, I don't think it is a total electrical fault, so your comment about a computer failure may be the most logical explanation.

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi! I'm having the same problem with my 2010 Spyder RT. Did you find out what was wrong with it. Mine loses power while I'm riding just like yours was. Please help!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Howdy!

Anyone ever find out why the engine just kind of dies? Read the posts but didn't see any 'AHA'S'. Please let me know if anyone has heard of what can be done.

·
Super Moderator
905 Posts
Howdy!

Anyone ever find out why the engine just kind of dies? Read the posts but didn't see any 'AHA'S'. Please let me know if anyone has heard of what can be done.
You have already asked this question once and this post won't get you any different answers.

RECAP: A really LOT of things can cause that........and without a lot more details, what might have happened to someone else likely won't apply to your situation.

Please do not duplicate the same question in multiple threads.
That just confuses the matter.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts