Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 Can Am Spyder RT Limited SE5-it was leaking oil in 3 areas that Bradford repaired. 5 minutes down the road after picking it up it went into "limp mode" & wouldn't allow me to drive over a certain speed. I took it back. (service manager) advised me that after he had the mechanic ride it 15 miles up the road he did not see any issues & that the code was cleared. He was unsure why it did that. I road it that day & experienced issues such as the gears changing harshly & delayed gear changes. I didn't ride it again for a week or 2. Once I was able to ride it went into limp mode AGAIN & flashed low oil. I went home & called (service manager). He adv me to bring it back because limp mode appears for a reason. I told him I would when I could since I work 2 jobs & the weather was up & down. I called (service manager) about a week later & he said he didn't have time to look that day & I'd have to leave it. I asked if it was safe to ride it he said that I may need to trailer it. I told him I didn't have one & asked if riding it would be an issue. He said I can but it wouldn't go very fast since its in limp mode & going into limp mode means something its not just doing that. I left it with him he called me to let me know the diagnosis & that it would be just shy of $7500. Today I spoke with him & adv him that I was not satisfied with the service because he's now saying that limp mode means something but originally adv me that he didn't see any issues. Now he's saying he hooked it up to the computer the FIRST time & it didn't say anything was wrong. He adv me that what is wrong with it now cannot be diagnosed by computer. I asked him why didn't he thoroughly look the first time limp mode appeared then. He confessed that he hooked it up to the computer, road it and cleared the code. Now my engine is blown due to him not thoroughly checking the reason for the error and possibly for him clearing the code KNOWING that limp mode is a serious code. He became very belligerent & has still not offered any form of assistance or any guidance on where to go from here. I am thinking about seeking legal action. What do you all think about this???

·
Super Moderator
'17 RT Limited
1,436 Posts
He became very belligerent & has still not offered any form of assistance or any guidance on where to go from here. I am thinking about seeking legal action. What do you all think about this???
First, please put your posts in only ONE sub-forum here. I have deleted the other two.

Then, have you spoken to the shop OWNER ?
You need to do that before spending money on a lawyer.

What exactly did they tell you was wrong that will cost so much to fix ?
Are they saying that it needs a new engine ??

·
Super Moderator
'17 RT Limited
1,436 Posts
Well this is sad but you probably are screwed.

Because you have absolutely NO WAY to know or prove that anything they did caused the failure.

But I am not a lawyer......so if there is a "Legal Aid Society" in your area, you might want to consult with them.
And start saving for a new ride. In it's current condition, that one is probably worth less than $1000.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well this is sad but you probably are screwed.

Because you have absolutely NO WAY to know or prove that anything they did caused the failure.

But I am not a lawyer......so if there is a "Legal Aid Society" in your area, you might want to consult with them.
And start saving for a new ride. In it's current condition, that one is probably worth less than $1000.
Spoke with the GM, he’s going to work with me on getting it repaired!

·
Super Moderator
'17 RT Limited
1,436 Posts
Spoke with the GM, he’s going to work with me on getting it repaired!
Good. Maybe.
Usually that means that he will split the cost with you.
That still means that it might cost you over $3000.
So make sure that you get a firm quote for whatever he proposes.
Having it in writing is a requirement.

P.S. And after this is all over, you will still have a Spyder that is about 10 years old.
Ask them if they still work on them over 10 years old.
Some places don't.
And then you will have spent a LOT of money on something that is an "orphan".

Asking the GM for a ~ $3000 discount on another used but a lot newer Spyder might be a LOT better move in the long run.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts