Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Has anyone had problems with your DPS lights coming on?
My husband put our Can-Am in reverse today and backed out about 10 feet. He had forgotton to take off parking brake (we are still quite new to this), then put into 1st gear and then this warning light came on about DPS and another warning that said not to drive over 46 miles per hour and yet another warning that said limp Home!!!

has anyone else had this problem and what did you do about it? how did you fix it?

I love my Can-AM but the repair places are not very helpful and it seems the people stall more than the CAN-AM's do!
:(

·
Registered
160 Posts
I don't think it has anything to do with the parking brake. I've accidentally left mine on a few times and never had issues. Sounds like something else. Do you not have an authorized BRP service center where you live? If not you can call one and tell them what's going on. I know my service center here has been very helpful.

·
Registered
570 Posts
There has been some conversations that resting your foot on the brake enough for the brake light to come on will set of the DPS light and cause the limp home mode to be engaged. That may have been the problem.

As to clearing the limp home mode, stop the bike, pull the key out, wait for the LCD screen to completely turn off, restart the bike as per normal. I have had to do this many times due to DPS errors. My errors were related to un-even tire pressure in the front tires, I think...

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had a mysterious problem with my DPS repeatedly coming on, only to find out the problem was a bad rear light. No problems since the bulb was changed.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Let us know what happens when you start her up again...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Problem found & fixed in dps warning

:D
Possible Cure for ABS Fault with DPS & Limp Mode sensor activation:

So here is what happened and the resolved answer!!
Sensor activated after backing out of parking stall in right hand lock turn. Turned key off, the system reset and drove home.

Several hours later, backed out of garage and sensors activated again. Dropped off to dealership in Limp Mode and after turning off the bike, could not reproduce the problem upon start up.

Left it at dealership and they reset the software/sensors and upon test drive got ABS/DPS sensor activation again.
Once again, reset all sensors and wheel alighnment sensors.

Then upon test drive during a slow right hand lock turn, ABS/DPS sensors activated again.

Upon inspection it was discovered that the RIGHT WHEEL ABS SENSOR WIRE had been misrouted around the fender support.

During right hand lock turn there was enough tension placed on the sensor wire to break the electrical connection and activate the abs sensor. Once the wire had been re-routed on the inside of the fender support and system reset, the problem was resolved.

After a 2 hour ride, no reactivation has occured and the problem seems resolved!!

The dealer stated that this wiring error would have been done at the mfg. the dealer was going to advise CAN-AM of the situation. So if you are having a problem with your DPS system/limp mode coming on and for no reason, that would be a good place to start as far as having that wire checked.

Hurray!! With our first official trip only days away, we thought we were going to have to take the car, but we are back on track again, and feeling safe and secure about the problem being fixed. It drove really nice today.

Hope this helps! have that wire checked. Make sure the MFG did not mis-wire the unit. It would be in the FRONT rear wells.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
YAY! :D Glad it was an easy fix - and thank you for sharing the fix!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts